Required Tools and Supplies
- T30 TORX®
- 13mm Socket
- Torque Wrench
- Panduit Strap
- Side Cutters
- Dielectric Grease or Petroleum Jelly
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
- Shop Rags
For information on tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide. Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your RZR XP.
To remove and install the battery on your RZR XP, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface, ensure it is in PARK and remove the key.
2. Pull up on the driver’s seat latch strap and pivot forward and upward to remove the seat from the vehicle. Note: The battery's location may be different, depending on if you have a 2-seat or 4-seat model. Check your Owner's Manual to verify.
3. Loosen the negative battery cable fastener first with a 10mm socket to prevent arcing and set the cable aside.
4. Slide the red boot back from the positive cable.
5. Loosen the positive cable fastener and set the cable aside.
6. Remove the bracket fastener with a T30 TORX® socket.
7. Pivot the bracket up and around the floor trim. Slide the bar towards the console and pivot up to remove.
8. Life the battery straight up to remove.
9. If reinstalling the battery, ensure it is fully charged and free of any debris or damage. Follow the instructions in the Battery Charging section of your Owner’s Manual before installing the battery. If needed, a new battery is part number 4014132.
10. Clean any dirt or debris from the battery box.
11. Inspect the padding in the battery box and replace if necessary.
12. Install the battery by lowering straight down into the battery holder.
13. Slide the end of the battery bracket under the battery handle and pivot around the floor trim.
14. Install the bracket fastener, and torque to 8 ft-lbs (11 Nm).
15. Reconnect the positive cable first to prevent arcing, and torque to 44 in-lbs (5 Nm).
16. Reposition the positive cable boot over the terminal.
17. Reposition the negative cable and connect to the terminal. Torque the clamp to 44 in-lbs (5 Nm).
18. Verify the cables are secure and properly routed.
19. Coat both terminals with dielectric grease or petroleum jelly.
20. Reinstall the seat by aligning the front tabs under the retainer bar and pressing down in the rear to engage the latch.
21. Finally, turn the key ON to verify the battery has been connected properly. Note: When the battery is disconnected, the vehicle’s clock may need to be reset.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
TORX® is a registered trademark of Acument Intellectual Properties, LLC
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2023 Polaris Industries Inc.