Required Tools and Supplies
- 6mm Socket
- General Purpose Grease
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
- Shop Rags
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide. When changing the air filter, always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves.
To inspect and replace the air filter on your Sportsman 500, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface, ensure it is in park and set the parking brake.
2. On X2 models, lift the cargo box before continuing.
3. Lift up on the rear of the seat and pull back to remove.
4. Remove the black foam near the fuel tank.
5. Clean the area around the air box with a clean shop rag.
6. Release the four airbox cover clips and lift the cover up to remove.
7. Inspect the airbox seal for any wear or damage and replace if necessary.
8. Loosen the air filter clamp with a 6mm socket.
9. Slide the air filter assembly off the intake hose.
10. Remove the pre-filter from the air filter and clean with hot, soapy water. Rinse the pre-filter and allow it to dry thoroughly.
11. Inspect the filter for any excessive debris, damage, fuel or oil and replace if necessary. A new filter is part number 7082101.
12. Clean out the inside of the air box with a clean cloth.
13. Reinstall the pre-filter over the air filter.
14. Apply a small amount of general-purpose grease to the sealing edges of the filter before reinstalling.
15. Reinstall the air filter assembly and clamp into the air box, ensuring the filter is fully seated and resting on the filter supports.
16. Slide the clamp over the assembly and tighten until fully seated.
17. Reinstall the air box cover and press down to ensure it is fully seated.
18. Secure the four cover clips.
19. Reinstall the black foam around the air ducts behind the fuel tank.
20. Finally, install the seat by aligning the front retaining tabs and pushing down in the rear. On X2 models, also lower the cargo box and ensure it is secure.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2023 Polaris Industries Inc.