This article will explain how to install the Pivoting Spare Tire Carrier, part number 2884326-458.
Required Tools and Supplies
- Ratchet with Extension
- T40 TORX® Socket
- 6mm Allen Socket
- 24mm Socket
- 11mm Wrench
- Torque Wrench
- Soft Face Hammer
- Tape Measure
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
- Shop Rags
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide. Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris vehicle.
To install the spare tire rack on your RZR Pro R, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface, ensure it is in PARK and remove the key.
2. Before beginning, identify the left and right striker assemblies.
3. Position the nut plate behind the mounting bracket on the upper rear portion of the roll cage.
4. Align the striker with the mounting holes and install the two provided fasteners and a T40 TORX® socket. Tighten the fasteners enough to hold the striker in place, but still allow the striker to move up and down.
5. Before continuing, repeat this process on the other side.
6. Align the mounting holes on the pivot bracket with the lower clamp and install two fasteners until fully seated but do not torque at this time. On multi-passenger vehicles, the additional provided spacers will need to be installed.
7. Repeat this process for the other pivot bracket assembly.
8. Measure from the most forward point of the striker weld bracket and up along the ROPS tube. Mark the tube at 11 ½” (290 mm) with a marker or piece of tape. Then repeat for other side.
9. Install the pivot clamp assembly with the top clamp with the rear of the bracket on the marked area and secure with four fasteners. The assembly should be loose enough that it can be repositioned with a soft face hammer if needed.
10. Rotate the pivot clamp assembly up to gain access to the pivot bracket fasteners.
11. Using a 6mm Allen socket, torque the pivot bracket fasteners to 18 ft-lbs (25 Nm) and rotate the pivot assembly back down.
12. Before continuing, ensure the area between the pivot clamp and the bracket are properly spaced apart. The spacing should measure 11 ½” (290 mm).
13. With the aid of an assistant, lift the tire rack into the bed of the vehicle and rest the latches onto the striker brackets for proper alignment. With a soft face hammer, tap the pivot brackets into place against the tire rack.
14. Using a 24mm socket or wrench, install the provided pivot pins through the bracket and then through the spacer into the tire rack.
15. Before continuing, double check all measurements to ensure they are accurate. Lightly tighten the brackets as needed to hold them in place.
16. Torque the pivot bracket clamp fasteners to 18 ft-lbs (25 Nm). Tap the top of the pivot brackets with a soft hammer to help remove gaps between brackets and retorque the fasteners.
17. Using a 24mm socket, torque the pivot pins to 60 ft-lbs (81 Nm).
18. When the tire rack is lowered, the latches should hit the strikers simultaneously.
19. If adjustment is needed, ensure the striker brackets are at equal height to one another.
20. Ensure the latch is fully engaged with the striker rod when the tire rack is lowered.
21. With a T40 TORX socket, torque the striker bracket fasteners to 9 ft-lbs (12 Nm).
22. Torque the latch fasteners to 9 ft-lbs (12 Nm).
23. Once fasteners are torqued, verify proper operation of the tire rack.
24. Continue by installing each strut onto the tire rack and pivot bracket. Install the pushrod end of strut into mounting hole on the pivot bracket.
25. Unlatch the spare tire rack and lift up to align the other end of the strut with the mounting hole in spare tire carrier.
26. Using an 11mm wrench, tighten until fully seated.
27. To operate the rack with no load, apply downward pressure to the handle of the rack and pull the actuator cable rearward simultaneously to release the latches from the strikers and raise the rack.
28. To secure a wheel to the rack, begin by placing it on the center of the rack.
- Attach the rear point of the three-point harness to the tire rack.
- Attach the two side straps to their attachment points on the rack.
- Continue by running the rear of the harness through the ratcheting portion of the strap.
- Center the harness by tightening the two upper straps.
- Tighten the ratchet to secure the spare tire to the carrier.
34. To operate the rack under load, pull the actuator cable rearward to simultaneously release the latches from the strikers and raise the rack.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
FOX® is a registered trademark of Fox Factory Inc.
TORX® is a registered trademark of Acument Intellectual Properties, LLC
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Inc.