|Required Tools and Supplies|
|T27 TORX® Socket||Torque Wrench|
|10mm Socket||Eye Protection|
|11mm Wrench||Nitrile Gloves|
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris ATV.
To inspect or replace the drive belt on your model year 2021 and newer Sportsman 450, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface, ensure it is in PARK, and set the parking brake.
2. Begin by lifting up on the rear of the seat and pulling back to remove.
3. Remove the two push-pin rivets securing the left side panel with a pliers.
4. Grasp the rear of the side panel, and pull back to disengage it from the retainers and remove from the vehicle.
5. Remove the push-pin rivet on the PVT access panel with a pliers, and unlatch the two latches to remove.
6. With a T27 TORX® and 11mm wrench, remove the four lower fasteners and nuts on the footwell.
7. Remove the two upper fasteners securing the footwell to the fenders with a T27 TORX® socket.
8. With a pliers, remove the two push-pin rivets on the front of the footwell.
9. Pivot the footwell away from the body panels to disengage the tabs, and remove from the vehicle.
10. Loosen the PVT inlet duct clamp with a 1/4-inch socket and remove from the PVT cover.
11. Loosen the outer duct clamp with a 1/4-inch socket, and separate from the PVT cover.
12. Remove the eight clutch cover fasteners with a 10mm socket.
13. Pivot the clutch cover around the fender and out of the vehicle.
14. Inspect the cover seal and replace if necessary. The cover seal is part number 5521738.
15. Before removing, take note of the drive belt direction of rotation. The belt must be installed in the same direction if reusing.
16. Press the belt together in the middle to open the driven clutch sheaves.
17. Carefully walk the belt off the driven clutch and remove from the drive clutch.
18. Inspect the belt for any fraying, hour-glassing, loose cords, missing cogs, abrasions, burns or damage, and replace if needed. The belt is part number 3211113.
19. Before continuing, clean out the inside of the clutch covers thoroughly.
20. If replacing the belt, the part number on the belt should face outward when installed.
21. Loop the belt over the drive clutch, and begin to walk it over the driven clutch sheave. The belt may catch the bottom of the sheave when installing. If this happens, push down on the belt and continue working over the sheave.
22. Once the belt is installed, spin the driven clutch five to seven times to help seat the belt.
23. Carefully reinstall the clutch cover, pivoting around the fender as needed and ensuring the cover seal is fully seated.
24. Install the eight cover fasteners. Torque to 44 in-lbs (5 Nm).
25. Install the inlet and outlet ducts on the PVT cover. Torque the clamps to 27 in-lbs (2 Nm).
26. Carefully maneuver the left footwell onto the vehicle, and align the fenders onto the tabs on the footwell.
27. Reinstall the two footwell push-pin rivets.
28. Install and tighten the two upper footwell fasteners, and torque until fully seated.
29. Install the four lower fasteners and nuts. Torque to 36 in-lbs (4 Nm).
30. Reinstall the PVT access cover over the clutch cover. Install the previously removed push-pin rivet, and secure the two latches.
31. Align the retention tabs on the side panel, and pivot it into place.
32. Reinstall the push-pin rivets to secure the panel.
33. Reinstall the seat by aligning the front retaining tabs and pushing down in the rear.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
TORX® is a registered trademark of Acument Intellectual Properties, LLC
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Inc.