|Required Tools and Supplies|
|8mm and 17mm sockets||PS-4 Extreme Duty Full Synthetic Oil|
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris ATV. To change the oil and filter on your Outlaw 70, follow these steps:
1. Ensure the vehicle is on a flat, level surface.
2. Set the parking brake.
3. Start the engine and let it run for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Stop the engine.
5. Remove the four push rivets on the oil access panel with a pliers, and remove the panel.
6. Clean the area around the dipstick.
7. Remove the dipstick and set it aside.
8. Place a drain pan beneath the engine crankcase. Placing a rag in the bottom of the drain pan will prevent the splashing of oil.
9. Clean the area around the oil drain plug near the left footwell.
10. Remove the drain plug with a 17mm socket and allow the oil to drain completely.
11. Next, clean the area around the oil spring-loaded screen plug.
12. Remove the plug, spring and screen with a 17mm socket. Allow the remaining oil in the crankcase to drain.
13. In the right front wheel well, clean the area around the oil filter cap.
14. Remove the two upper oil filter cap fasteners with an 8mm socket. Loosen the lower fastener.
15. Slide the cap and lower fastener out and rotate out of the way to gain access to the oil filter.
17. Using a pick, remove and properly dispose of the used oil filter.
18. Install a new oil filter. The oil filter is part number 3023869.
19. Reinstall the top two cap fasteners. Torque to 80 in-lbs (9 Nm).
20. Then install the third lower fastener. Torque to 80 in-lbs (9 Nm).
21. Wash the pre-filter screen with solvent to remove any debris. Allow the screen to dry completely.
22. Ensure the drain plug is clean and free of any debris.
23. Also inspect the O-ring on the pre-filter plug and replace if necessary. The sealing surfaces on the plugs and crankcase should be clean and free of burrs, nicks or scratches. The O-ring is part number 3023872.
24. Reinstall the drain plug. Torque to 10 ft-lbs (13 Nm).
25. Reassemble the pre-filter screen and spring to the drain plug.
26. Then reinstall the drain plug. Torque to 10 ft-lbs (13 Nm).
27. Add the recommended amount of oil. Do not overfill. The capacity is 27 ounces (800 mL). A 1-quart (946 mL) bottle of PS-4 Extreme Duty Full Synthetic 10W-50 Oil is part number 2889396.
28. Reinstall the dipstick fully.
29. Start the engine and allow it to idle for 1 to 2 minutes.
30. Stop the engine and inspect for leaks.
31. Check the oil level. Add oil as needed to bring the level to the upper mark on the dipstick.
32. Reinstall the oil access panel and the four push rivets.
33. Dispose of the used oil properly.
34. In addition to changing the oil, clean the spark arrestor at every oil change. Reference your Owner’s Manual for the full procedure. Always allow the vehicle to cool completely before performing spark arrestor maintenance.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Industries Inc.