Required Tools and Supplies
- T40 TORX® Socket
- 8mm Socket
- 5/8- Inch Spark Plug Socket
- Torque Wrench
- Air Nozzle
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
- Shop Rags
For information on tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide. Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris RZR.
Always allow the engine to cool completely before performing this procedure. To inspect and replace the spark plugs on your RZR XP, follow these steps.
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface in a well-ventilated area, and ensure the transmission is in PARK.
2. Remove the four cargo box fasteners with a T40 TORX® socket.
3. Lift the cargo box up and remove from the vehicle.
4. Remove the two fasteners holding the plug shield in place with an 8mm socket.
5. Remove the two plug covers.
6. Before continuing, blow any dirt or debris out of the spark plug wells with compressed air to prevent anything from falling into the cylinders.
7. Carefully loosen the spark plugs with a 5/8-inch spark plug socket and remove from the vehicle. Note: If reusing, take note of the cylinders they were installed in for reinstallation.
8. Inspect the electrodes for wear and carbon buildup. The spark plug should have a sharp outer edge with no rounding or erosion. Inspect and adjust the spark plug gap if needed. The gap should measure 0.7-0.8 mm.
9. If necessary, replace with the recommended spark plug. New spark plugs are part number 3022662.
10. Apply a small amount of dielectric grease to the coil end where it connects to the spark plug.
11. Install the spark plugs into the engine, and torque to 9 ft-lbs (12 Nm).
12. Verify that the connections are properly secured ensuring they are clicked into place.
13. Reinstall the two plug covers.
14. Reinstall the plug shield with the two retained fasteners. Torque to 7 ft-lbs (10 Nm).
15. Reinstall the cargo box and align the mounting holes.
16. Reinstall the four mounting fasteners, and torque to 88 in-lbs (10 Nm).
17. Start the engine to ensure proper operation.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
NGK® is a registered trademark of NGK Spark Plug Co., Ltd.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2023 Polaris Industries Inc.