|Required Tools and Supplies|
|Ratchet||Dielectric Grease or Petroleum Jelly|
|10mm Socket||Safety Glasses|
|T40 TORX® Socket||Nitrile Gloves|
|10mm Wrench||Shop Rags|
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide. Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris ATV.
To remove and install the battery on your model year 2021 and newer Sportsman 450, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface and ensure the vehicle is in PARK. Set the parking brake and remove the key.
2. Unlatch the front storage compartment straps and open the compartment.
3. Loosen the two battery bracket fasteners with a T40 TORX® socket. Lift the bracket with the fasteners up and pull out to remove from the vehicle.
4. Remove the black negative battery cable fastener first with a 10mm socket and wrench to prevent arcing, and set the cable aside.
5. Remove the red positive cable fastener with a 10mm socket and wrench, and set the cable aside. Reinstalling the fasteners into the posts will help prevent misplacement.
6. Carefully lift the battery out of the vehicle.
7. If reinstalling the battery, ensure it is fully charged and free of any debris to prevent damage. Follow the instructions in the Battery Charging section of your Owner’s Manual before installing the battery.
8. Clean any dirt or debris from the battery box.
9. Reinstall the battery.
10. Install the positive cable first to prevent arcing. Torque to 62 in-lbs (7 Nm).
11. Install the negative cable. Torque to 62 in-lbs (7 Nm).
12. Coat the battery terminals with dielectric grease or petroleum jelly.
13. Before proceeding, verify the cables are secure and properly routed.
14. Reinstall the battery bracket with fasteners. Torque to 8 ft-lbs (11 Nm).
15. Close the front storage compartment and secure with the straps.
16. Turn the key ON to verify the battery is properly connected. When the battery is disconnected, the vehicle’s clock may need to be reset.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
TORX® is a registered trademark of Acument Intellectual Properties, LLC
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Inc.