|Required Tools and Supplies|
|6mm Allen Socket||PS-4 Engine Oil|
|8mm Socket||Oil Filter|
|19mm Socket||Eye Protection|
|Torque Wrench||Nitrile Gloves|
|2.5-Inch (64mm) Oil Filter Wrench||Shop Rags|
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide.
To change the engine oil and filter on your model year 2021 and newer Sportsman 450, follow these steps. For optimal performance, always use Polaris recommended fluids as described in your Owner’s Manual.
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface, ensure it is in PARK and set the parking brake.
2. Start the engine, allow it to warm up at idle for 2 to 3 minutes and stop the engine.
3. Remove the oil dipstick access panel on the right side of the vehicle.
4. Clean the area around the dipstick.
5. Remove the dipstick and set it aside.
6. Place a drain pan under the engine crankcase. Placing a rag in the bottom of the drain pan will help prevent the splashing of oil.
7. Clean the area around the oil drain plug.
8. Remove the drain plug and washer with a 6mm Allen socket. Allow the oil to drain completely.
9. Access the oil filter on the front of the engine through the right front wheel well. Clean any dirt or debris.
10. Turn the filter counterclockwise with a 2.5-inch (64mm) oil filter wrench to remove it.
11. Using a clean dry cloth, clean the filter sealing surface on the crankcase.
12. Lubricate the O-ring on the new filter with a film of fresh engine oil and ensure the O-ring is in good condition.
13. Install the new filter and rotate it clockwise by hand until the filter gasket contacts the sealing surface. Then turn it an additional three-quarters of a turn. The oil filter is part number 2520799. It is included in both oil change kits.
14. Clean any dirt or debris from the drain plug. Ensure the sealing surfaces are free of any nicks or scratches.
15. Install a new sealing washer on the drain plug. The sealing washer is part number 5812232.
16. Reinstall the drain plug. Torque to 12 ft-lbs (16 Nm).
17. Before continuing, clean any residual oil off the vehicle.
18. Fill the engine with 2 quarts (1.9 L) of the recommended oil through the oil dipstick port. Do not overfill.
19. Reinstall the dipstick and wipe away any residual oil.
20. Start the engine and allow it to idle for 1 to 2 minutes.
21. Stop the engine and inspect for any leaks.
22. Remove the dipstick and wipe with a clean shop towel. Reinstall the dipstick fully and remove it again to inspect the oil level. Add oil as needed to bring the level to the upper mark on the dipstick.
23. Reinstall the dipstick and wipe up any residual oil.
24. Continue by reinstalling the oil dipstick access panel.
25. Dispose of the used oil and filter properly at your local recycling center.
26. Move to the rear of the vehicle to clean the spark arrestor. Before performing this procedure, remove any combustible materials from the area. Never run the engine in an enclosed area.
27. Use a 19mm socket to remove the arrestor cleanout plug on the bottom of the muffler.
28. Start the engine. Then quickly squeeze and release the throttle several times to purge carbon from the system. Do not stand near the spark arrestor when performing this step.
29. Before continuing, allow the exhaust to cool completely to prevent the risk of burns.
30. Reinstall the arrestor cleanout plug. Torque the fastener to 22 ft-lbs (30 Nm).
31. Reset the service interval.
- Turn the key ON and hold the MODE button to enter the Options Menu.
- Then navigate to SERVICE HOURS.
- Press the MODE button again to change the service hours.
- Using the up and down buttons, adjust the service hours to your desired setting.
- Press the MODE button again to confirm your selection.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Inc.