This procedure requires the use of ATV Angle Drive Fluid. ATV Angle Drive Fluid is part number 2876160 for 1 quart (946 ml).
|Required Tools and Supplies|
|8mm Allen Socket||Shop Rags|
|Torque Wrench||Nitrile Gloves|
|Fluid Filler||Drain Pan|
For more information on tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide. Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris Sportsman. For optimal performance, always use Polaris-recommended fluids, as described in your Owner’s Manual.
To change the rear gearcase fluid on your Sportsman 850 High Lifter Edition or Sportsman XP 1000 High Lifter Edition, follow these steps.
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface.
2. Place the vehicle in PARK and set the parking brake.
3. If desired, removing the rear skid plate can aid in preventing residual fluid buildup.
4. Place a drain pan underneath the rear gearcase drain plug. Placing a rag in the bottom of the drain pan will help prevent the splashing of fluid.
5. Before removing, clean the area around the fill plug.
6. Use an 8mm Allen socket to remove the rear gearcase fill plug and set aside.
7. Clean the area around the drain plug.
8. Remove the drain plug with an 8mm Allen socket and allow the fluid to drain completely.
9. Clean any dirt or debris from the fill and drain plugs.
10. Inspect the O-rings on both plugs and replace if necessary.
11. Reinstall the drain plug. Torque to 12 ft-lbs (16 Nm).
12. Fill the gearcase through the fill plug hole until fluid reaches the bottom threads and begins to spill out. The fluid capacity is 7.1 ounces (210 ml) of fluid. ATV Angle Drive Fluid is part number 2876160 for 1 quart (946 ml).
13. Reinstall the gearcase fill plug. Torque to 12 ft-lbs (16 Nm).
14. Clean any residual fluid off the vehicle and inspect for leaks.
15. If previously removed, reinstall the rear skid plate.
16. Dispose of the used fluid properly at your local recycling center.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Industries Inc.