Required Tools and Supplies
- Shop Rags
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
- Torque Wrench
- 8mm Allen Socket
- Fluid Filler
- Drain Pan
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris ATV.
To change the transmission fluid on your model year 2020 and older Sportsman 450, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface.
2. Ensure the vehicle is in PARK.
3. Set the parking brake.
4. Place a drain pan underneath the transmission. Tip: Place a rag in the bottom of the drain pan to prevent the splashing of fluid.
5. Clean the area around the fill plug through the left rear wheel well.
6. Using an 8mm Allen socket, remove the transmission fill plug and set aside.
7. Clean the area around the drain plug.
8. Using an 8mm Allen socket, remove the drain plug and allow the fluid to drain completely.
9. Clean any dirt or debris from the fill and drain plugs.
10. Inspect the O-rings on both plugs and replace if necessary.
11. Reinstall the drain plug. Torque to 10 to 14 ft-lbs (19 Nm).
12. Fill the gearcase through the fill plug hole until fluid reaches the bottom of the threads and begins to spill out. The capacity is 32 ounces (946 ml). AGL Full Synthetic Gearcase Lubricant and Transmission Fluid is part number 2878068 for 32 ounces (946 ml).
13. Reinstall the transmission fill plug. Torque to 10 to 14 ft-lbs (19 Nm).
14. Clean any residual fluid off the vehicle and inspect for leaks.
15. Dispose of the used fluid properly.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
© 2022 Polaris Inc.