Required Tools and Supplies
- Shop Rags
- 8mm Allen Socket
- Torque Wrench
- Fluid Filler
- Drain Pan
- Safety glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
For more information on tools, read Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Always wear safety glasses or nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris ATV. To change the front gearcase fluid on your Sportsman 850 or Sportsman XP 1000, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface.
2. Ensure the vehicle is in PARK.
3. Set the parking brake.
4. Place a drain pan underneath the front gearcase. Tip: Place a rag in the bottom of the drain pan to prevent the splashing of fluid.
5. Clean the area around the fill plug in the right front wheel well.
6. Remove the front gearcase fill plug with an 8mm Allen socket.
7. Clean the area around the drain plug.
8. Remove the drain plug with an 8mm Allen socket and allow the fluid to drain completely.
9. Clean any dirt or debris from the fill and drain plugs.
10. Inspect the O-rings on both plugs and replace if necessary.
11. Reinstall the drain plug. Torque to 11 ft-lbs (15 Nm).
12. Fill the gearcase through the fill plug hole until fluid reaches the bottom threads and begins to spill out. The capacity is 9.3 ounces (275 ml). Demand Drive Fluid is part number 2877922 for 1 quart (946 ml).
13. Reinstall the gearcase fill plug. Torque to 8 to 10 ft-lbs (11-14 Nm).
14. Clean any residual fluid off the vehicle and inspect for leaks.
15. Dispose of the used fluid properly.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Inc.