|Required Tools and Supplies|
|Safety Glasses||Nitrile Gloves|
|Shop Rags||Clutch Spreader Tool|
|10mm, 15mm and 17mm Sockets||Torque Wrench|
For more information on tools, read Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris ATV. To inspect or replace the drive belt on your Sportsman 850 or Sportsman XP 1000, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface.
2. Ensure the vehicle is in PARK.
3. Set the parking brake.
4. Remove the seat by lifting up on the rear and pulling back.
5. Using a 17mm socket, loosen the lug nuts on the left rear wheel, but do not remove.
6. Elevate and safely support the vehicle. Refer to your Owner’s Manual for proper lifting techniques.
7. Remove the lug nuts and set aside.
8. Then remove the left rear wheel and set aside.
9. Using a 15mm socket, remove the four fasteners retaining the lower left-hand frame support and remove from the frame.
10. Using a 10mm socket, remove the two upper PVT cover fasteners from the seat well. Then remove the remaining fasteners through the wheel wells.
11. Carefully pull the outer PVT cover out of the left rear wheel well.
12. Inspect the cover seal and replace if necessary. The seal is part number 5521802.
13. Note the orientation of the drive belt so it can be installed in the same direction.
14. Insert the clutch spreader tool into the driven clutch to spread the clutch sheaves. Caution: Ensure the tool is square with the moveable sheave surface of the driven clutch.
15. Carefully walk the belt off the driven clutch while opening the clutch sheaves with the spreader tool as needed. Then remove from the drive clutch.
16. Inspect the belt for any fraying, hour-glassing, loose cords, missing cogs, abrasions, burns or damage, and replace if needed.
17. Clean out the inside of the clutch covers thoroughly. Warning: Failure to remove ALL debris when replacing the belt could result in vehicle damage, loss of control and severe injury or death.
18. If replacing the belt, the part number on the belt should face outward when installed. The belt is part number 3211160.
19. Loop the belt over the drive clutch and begin to walk it over the top of the driven clutch.
20. Work the drive belt onto the driven clutch. Rotate the driven clutch clockwise while opening the sheaves with the spreader tool as needed.
21. Spin the driven clutch five to seven times to seat the belt.
22. Carefully reinstall the clutch cover, ensuring the cover seal is fully seated.
23. Install the nine cover fasteners through the wheel wells and two upper fasteners through the seat well. Torque to 30 in-lbs (3.4 Nm).
24. Reinstall the lower left-hand frame support and four retaining bolts. Torque to 37 ft-lbs (50 Nm).
25. Install the wheel on the hub.
26. Install the wheel lug nuts hand tight.
27. Safely lower the vehicle to the ground. Reference your Owner’s Manual for proper lowering techniques.
28. Torque the lugs nuts to specification in a crisscross pattern. Torque the lug nuts on aluminum wheels to 75 ft-lbs (102 Nm) and lug nuts on steel wheels to 45 ft-lbs (61 Nm).
29. Reinstall the seat by aligning the front tabs and pushing down on the rear.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Inc