Required Tools and Supplies
- Safety Glasses
- Shop Rags
- Fluid Filler
- Angle Drive Fluid
- Nitrile Gloves
- Drain Pan
- 8mm Allen Socket
- Torque Wrench
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing the rear gearcase on your Polaris Sportsman. To change the rear gearcase fluid on your 2020+ Sportsman XP 1000 S, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface.
2. Place the vehicle in PARK.
3. Lock the parking brake.
4. Place a drain pan underneath the rear gearcase drain plug. Tip: Place a rag in the bottom of the drain pan to prevent the splashing of oil.
5. Clean the area around the fill plug in the right front wheel well.
6. Remove the rear gearcase fill plug with an 8mm Allen socket.
7. Clean the area around the drain plug.
8. Remove the drain plug with an 8mm Allen socket and allow the oil to drain completely.
9. Clean any dirt or debris from the fill and drain plugs.
10. Inspect the O-rings on both plugs and replace if necessary.
11. Reinstall the drain plug. Torque to 12 ft-lbs (16 Nm).
12. Fill the gearcase through the fill plug with 7.1 ounces (210 ml) of fluid. Maintain the fluid level even with the bottom threads of the fill plug hole. ATV Angle Drive Fluid is part number 2876160 for 1 quart (946 ml).
13. Reinstall the gearcase fill plug. Torque to 12 ft-lbs (16 Nm).
14. Clean any residual oil off the vehicle.
15. Check for leaks.
16. Dispose of the used oil properly.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Industries Inc.