Required Tools and Supplies
- 8mm Socket
- T40 TORX® Socket
- 8mm Wrench
- Torque Wrench
- Clutch Spreader Tool
- Drive Belt (part number 3211186)
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
- Shop Rags
For information on tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide. Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris XPEDITION. Warning: Drive belt maintenance should only be performed after the vehicle has completely cooled.
To inspect and replace the drive belt on your Polaris XPEDITION XP and ADV, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface, ensure it is in PARK and remove the key.
2. Lift the cargo box lever and pivot the box up.
3. Thoroughly clean all debris from the debris bracket at the front of the engine area. On Polaris XPEDITION ADV models, remove the engine access cover to clean the bracket.
4. Loosen the air duct clamp under the airbox with an 8mm socket, and remove the hose.
5. Loosen the air duct clamp on the drive belt cover, and remove the hose from the vehicle.
6. On Polaris XPEDITION XP models, the gas shock and lower mount will need to be removed to ease access to the belt cover.
- Remove the upper gas shock clevis pin.
- Remove the lower gas shock clevis pin and remove the gas shock from the vehicle.
- Remove the two lower gas shock mount fasteners with a T40 TORX® socket.
- Remove the lower mount from the vehicle.
7. Loosen the fourteen clutch cover fasteners with an 8mm socket and 8mm wrench. Do not remove the fasteners from the cover.
8. Pull the cover out and pivot the rear of the cover up to maneuver it out from the vehicle.
9. Inspect the cover seal on the clutch housing for wear or damage and replace if necessary.
10. Take note of the drive belt direction of rotation. The belt must be installed in the same direction if reusing.
11. Insert the clutch spreader tool into the threaded hole on the driven clutch and turn clockwise to spread the clutch. Tip: If the tool does not turn readily, rotate the driven clutch an additional one quarter of a turn counterclockwise and try again.
12. Carefully walk the belt off the driven clutch and remove from the drive clutch.
13. Inspect the belt for any fraying, hour-glassing, loose cords, missing cogs, abrasions, burns or damage, and replace if needed. A new belt is part number 3211186.
14. Clean out the inside of the clutch covers thoroughly and ensure any debris wrapped around the PVT and in the entire clutch air duct passage is removed. Any sign of oil leaks indicates that debris may be trapped behind the clutches. Tip: A mobile device can be used to see behind the clutches.
15. If replacing the belt, ensure the part number on the belt is facing outwards when installed.
16. Loop the belt over the drive clutch and begin to walk it over the driven clutch sheave.
17. Remove the clutch spreader tool from the driven clutch.
18. Rotate the driven clutch clockwise five to seven times to help seat the belt on the sheaves.
19. Clean the inside of the clutch cover.
20. Reinstall the clutch cover by pivoting in and aligning the mounting holes.
21. Ensure that the cover seal hasn’t shifted out of its groove.
22. Reinstall the fourteen cover fasteners, and torque to 53 in-lbs (6 Nm).
23. On Polaris XPEDITION XP models, align the lower gas shock mount with the mounting holes on the frame.
- Reinstall the two shock mount fasteners, and torque to 44 in-lbs (5 Nm).
- Align the gas shock rod with the lower mount, and reinstall the clevis pin from the driver’s side.
- Align the gas shock tube with the upper mount, and reinstall the clevis pin from the driver’s side.
24. Reinstall the air duct onto the drive belt cover.
25. Reinstall the air duct cover onto the intake under the airbox.
26. Torque the air duct clamps to 36 in-lbs (4 Nm).
27. Pivot the cargo box down and ensure the latch is secure.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
TORX® is a registered trademark of Acument Intellectual Properties, LLC
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2023 Polaris Industries Inc.