Required Tools and Supplies
- 10mm Socket
- Torque Wrench
- Dielectric Grease or Petroleum Jelly
- Shop Rags
- Safety Glasses & Nitrile Gloves
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide. Read, understand and follow all of the instructions, warnings and safety precautions in the Owner's Manual and on all product labels. Failure to do so could result in serious injury or death.
To remove and install the 12V battery on your RANGER XP Kinetic, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface, ensure the vehicle is in PARK and remove the key.
2. Move to the passenger-side seat and lift the seat up to remove the storage bin.
3. The battery service disconnect must be removed to separate the High Voltage system from the 12-volt system. On the battery service disconnect, slide the lock tab up and pinch the secondary lock to pull the disconnect from the harness.
4. Using a 10mm socket, remove the black negative battery cable fastener first to prevent arcing and set the cable aside.
5. Pull the red boot back from the positive cable.
6. Using a 10mm socket, remove the positive cable fastener and set the cable aside. Use care to ensure tools do not come into contact with both battery posts.
7. Remove the battery hold-down fastener and remove the hold-down.
8. Slide the battery rearward and pivot the bracket out of its retention tab in the frame to remove. Lift the battery out of the vehicle.
9. If reinstalling the battery, ensure it is fully charged and free of any debris to prevent damage. Follow the instructions in the Battery Charging section of your Owner's Manual before installing the battery. A new battery is part number 4014132.
10. Clean any dirt or debris from the battery box.
11. Install the battery into the battery box with the terminals facing the rear of the vehicle.
12. Set the hold-down bracket on the battery and slide both forward to engage the hold-down’s retention point. Reinstall the bracket fastener, and torque to 42 in-lbs (5 Nm).
13. Install the positive cable first to prevent arcing. Torque to 40 in-lbs (5 Nm).
14. Reinstall the positive cable protector boot.
15. Install the negative cable, and torque to 40 in-lbs (5 Nm). Verify the cables are secure and properly routed.
16. Coat both terminals with dielectric grease or petroleum jelly.
17. Reinstall the battery hold-down and tighten the fastener until fully seated.
19. Reconnect the service disconnect.
20. Push the lock tab down to secure the disconnect.
21. Reinstall the storage bin and lower the passenger seat.
22. Turn the vehicle on to ensure proper operation.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2023 Polaris Industries Inc.