Required Tools and Supplies
- T40 TORX® Socket
- 15mm Wrench
- 15mm Crowfoot Wrench
- Torque Wrench
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
- Shop Rags
For more information on tools, visit the Tools and Fasteners Guide. Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris snowmobile.
To adjust the drive chain tension on your Polaris Matryx Switchback Assault 146 with the 850 engine, follow these steps:
1. Park the sled on a flat, level surface.
2. Remove both side panels by turning the three quarter-turn latches. Pivot the panels away from the sled and pull out to remove.
3. Rotate the driven clutch counterclockwise to its end stop to move all chain slack to the tensioner side.
4. Lock the parking brake.
5. Remove the fastener on the lower-right side of the console with a T40 TORX® socket.
6. Remove the push rivet securing the lower-right portion of the console with a pliers.
7. Continue by removing the push rivet underneath that secures the right fender to the footrest.
8. If your snowmobile is equipped with a battery, remove the battery for additional clearance. Always remove the negative cable first to prevent arcing.
9. Loosen the adjuster bolt jam nut with a 15mm wrench.
10. Finger-tighten the adjuster bolt until it can no longer be adjusted by hand. Then back off one quarter of a turn.
11. With a 15mm crowfoot wrench, retighten the jam nut. Torque to 21 ft-lbs (28 Nm) while holding the adjuster bolt.
12. If equipped, reinstall the battery, beginning with the positive cable to prevent arcing.
13. Reinstall the push rivet underneath the console.
14. Install the push rivet on the lower-right portion of the console.
15. Reinstall the lower console fastener, and torque until fully seated.
16. Reinstall both side panels by inserting the upper tab and pivoting in to engage the lower tab.
17. Latch the three quarter-turn latches to secure each panel.
Looking for information on replacing your chaincase fluid? Read 2021+ 850 Switchback Assault 146 Chaincase Fluid Replacement.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. To find a dealer near you, use the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
TORX® is a registered trademark of Acument Intellectual Properties, LLC
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Industries Inc.