Required Tools and Supplies
- 8mm Socket
- 10mm Socket
- 16mm Socket
- 5/8-Inch Spark Plug Socket
- Torque Wrench
- Dielectric Grease
- Eye Protection
- Nitrile Gloves
- Shop Rags
For information on tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide. Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris RANGER.
To inspect and replace the spark plugs on your RANGER XD 1500, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface and ensure it is in PARK.
2. Tilt the cargo box up to access the spark plugs.
3. Wipe away any dirt or debris around the spark plug boot with a clean, dry cloth.
4. Disconnect the three spark plug connectors.
5. Remove the fasteners from the ignition coils using a 8mm socket and 10mm socket.
6. Carefully remove the spark plug boots. Note: If reusing the spark plugs, take note of the cylinders they were installed in for reinstallation.
7. Clean out the plug wells with compressed air.
8. Carefully loosen the spark plugs using a 5/8-inch spark plug socket and remove from the vehicle.
9. Inspect the electrodes for wear and carbon buildup and verify there are no cracks around the insulation. The spark plugs should have a sharp outer edge with no rounding or erosion.
10. Inspect and adjust the spark plug gaps if needed. The gap should measure 0.9-1.0 mm.
11. If necessary, replace with the recommended spark plug. Refer to your Owner's Manual for the recommended plug. Severe engine damage may occur if the incorrect plug is used. New spark plugs are part number 3023983.
12. Install the spark plugs into the engine, and torque to 8.6 ft-lbs (12 Nm). Do not apply anti-seize to the threads.
13. Apply a small amount of dielectric grease to the spark plug boots.
14. Reinstall the spark plug boots and ignition coils and ensure they are fully seated.
15. Reconnect the spark plug connectors and route the harness.
16. Tilt the cargo box down.
17. Start the engine in a well-ventilated area to verify proper operation.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
NGK® is a registered trademark of NGK Spark Plug Co., Ltd.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2024 Polaris Industries Inc.