Required Tools and Supplies
- 3/8-Inch Socket
- 27mm TORX® Socket
- 6mm Socket
- 11mm Socket
- Torque Wrench
- Multifunction Pliers
- Eye Protection
- Nitrile Gloves
- Shop Rags
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your vehicle. To inspect and replace the drive belt on your Sportsman 500, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface, ensure the vehicle is in park and set the parking brake.
2. Lift on the rear of the seat and pull back to remove.
3. Move to the left side of the vehicle and remove the four footwell push-pin rivets with multifunction pliers.
4. Remove the four fasteners and nuts from the bottom of the footwell with a 27mm TORX® socket and 11mm socket. Note: X2 and Touring models will have six fasteners and nuts.
5. Pivot the footwell away from the body panels to disengage the retaining tabs and remove from the vehicle.
6. Loosen the clamp on the PVT air outlet duct hose with a 6mm socket.
7. On X2 and Touring models, remove the upper passenger footwell support fastener with a 3/8-inch socket.
8. Pull the bottom support out of the chassis to remove.
9. Remove the eight clutch cover fasteners with a 3/8-inch socket.
10. Pull the cover out and pivot the rear down to separate from the air duct hose.
11. Once separated, pivot the cover off the vehicle.
12. Inspect the cover seal and replace if necessary.
13. Before removing, take note of the drive belt direction of rotation. The belt must be installed in the same direction if reusing.
14. Squeeze the belt in the center to spread the clutch sheaves.
15. Carefully walk the belt off the driven clutch and remove from the drive clutch.
16. Inspect the belt for any fraying, hour-glassing, loose cords, missing cogs, abrasions, burns or damage, and replace if needed.
17. Clean out the inside of the clutch covers thoroughly and ensure all debris around the PVT and entire clutch air duct is removed. Any sign of oil leaks indicates that debris may be trapped behind the clutches. A mobile device can be used to see behind the clutches.
18. If replacing the belt, the part number on the belt should face outward when installed. A new belt for an EBS clutch is part number 3211113. A new belt for a vehicle without an EBS clutch is part number 3211077.
19. Loop the belt over the drive clutch and begin to walk it over the driven clutch sheave. Tip: The belt may catch the bottom of the sheave when installing. If this happens, push down on the bottom of the belt and continue working over the sheave.
20. Spin the driven clutch five to seven times to help seat the belt.
21. Reinstall the clutch cover into the air duct hose and ensure the duct is fully seated.
22. Reinstall the eight cover fasteners, ensuring the crankcase breather hose clip is properly retained in the clutch cover.
23. Torque the fasteners until fully seated.
24. On X2 and Touring models, insert the passenger footwell support into the chassis while guiding the upper portion under the body panel.
25. Reinstall the upper support fastener, and torque until fully seated.
26. Position the hose clamp over the assembly and tighten until fully seated.
27. Pivot the footwell into the body panels and engage the tabs on the fenders.
28. Ensure the retention channel in the footwell is engaged with the front and rear fenders.
29. Align the footwell supports with the mounting holes in the footwells and reinstall the footwell fasteners and nuts.
30. Torque the fasteners until fully seated.
31. Reinstall the four push-pin rivets into the front and rear body panels.
32. Finally, reinstall the seat by aligning the front retaining tabs and pushing down in the rear. On X2 models, also lower the cargo box and ensure it is secure.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
TORX® is a registered trademark of Acument Intellectual Properties, LLC
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2023 Polaris Industries Inc.