This video goes over installing the Polaris HD 4,500 LB Winch (part number 2884835) or the Polaris Pro HD 4,500 LB Winch (part number 2884836). Read the installation instructions or the Winch User's Guide for more information.
Required Tools and Supplies
- T40 TORX® Socket
- 5mm Allen Socket
- 8mm Allen Socket
- 15mm Socket
- Torque Wrench
- Side Cutter
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
- Shop Rags
For information on tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide. Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when installing accessories on your Polaris RZR.
To install the winch on your RZR XP, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface, ensure it is in PARK and remove the key.
2. Remove the driver’s seat by pulling the strap to disengage the seat and tilting forward to remove the seat from the vehicle.
3. Disconnect the negative battery cable with a 10mm socket.
4. Remove the two screws and two bolts from the front fascia with a T40 TORX® socket and 15mm socket.
5. Remove four bolts and remove the front drive protection plate and tow strap with a 15mm socket.
6. Remove the center hood by unfastening the two screws. Remove the hood toward the rear.
7. Remove the center instrument panel by removing the two screws with a T40 TORX® socket.
8. Remove and retain the two lower bolts and washers from the fairlead of the winch. Also remove and retain the two side screws from the side of the winch with an 8mm Allen socket and 5mm Allen socket.
9. While holding the winch, pull the harness of the winch through the opening in the chassis. Pull the rest of the harness to the right side of the vehicle, in front of the suspension.
10. Place the winch against the front chassis of the vehicle.
11. Hand tighten the top two bolts on the fairlead. Install and hand tighten the two retained lower fairlead bolts and washers. Make sure the winch is seated firmly. DO NOT torque fasteners at this time.
12. Install the lower plate below the winch. Make sure the tab on the bottom of the plate fits into the slot in the front chassis. Loosely install two retained side screws to hold the plate in place. DO NOT torque fasteners at this time.
13. Install the two lower plate screws. Torque the two retained side screws to 96 in-lbs (11 Nm) and then the two lower plate screws to 30 ft-lbs (40 Nm) with a 15mm TORX® socket.
14. Torque the top two winch mounting bolts, followed by the bottom two bolts to 60 ft-lbs (81 Nm). Note: Do not torque in a cross pattern.
15. To route the harness, use the edge clip and attach the main harness to the edge of the radiator mount.
16. Use two cable ties and attach the harness to the chassis tube.
17. Locate the hole in the chassis tube and install the harness with a push dart through the hole.
18. Attach the harness to the crossmember using the edge clip.
19. Route the harness through the grommet in the front floor panel and up to the pulse bar area. Note: The dash and hood were removed in the video for visual purposes.
20. Attach the fuse connection to the bracket using the included push dart.
21. Locate the dashboard and pull up a blank switch cover from one of the remaining slots on the dashboard with a flathead screwdriver.
22. Feed the switch connector through the dash.
23. Connect the winch connection to the switch. Make sure that the switch is pushed in and is seated firmly.
24. Remove the pulse bar cap and plug the harness into the pulse bar terminal.
25. Connect the negative battery cable to the negative terminal ring on the pulse bar, and torque the nut to 44 in-lbs (5 Nm).
26. Connect the positive battery cable to the positive terminal ring on the pulse bar, and torque the nut to 44 in-lbs (5 Nm).
27. Reconnect the negative battery cable to the battery, and torque to 48 in-lbs (5.4 Nm).
28. Reinstall the seat by placing the seat in the vehicle with the front resting on the tube. Push the seat back until it engages with the rear tube.
29. Install the center instrument panel with two screws, and torque to 88 in-lbs (10 Nm).
30. Install the center hood from the rear of the vehicle, and torque the screws to 88 in-lbs (10 Nm).
31. Finally, test the operation of the winch.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
TORX® is a registered trademark of Acument Intellectual Properties, LLC
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2023 Polaris Industries Inc.