|Required Tools and Supplies
|6mm Socket or Flat Screwdriver
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide. Always clean all dirt and debris away from the airbox area before servicing the air filter on your Polaris Sportsman. Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves.
To clean or replace the air filter on your model year 2020 and older Sportsman 450, follow these steps:
1. Place the transmission in PARK.
2. Lock the parking brake.
3. Remove the seat by lifting straight up on the rear of the seat and sliding the seat out toward the rear of the vehicle.
4. Clean the area around the air filter cover.
5. Unfasten the airbox cover clamps and remove the airbox cover.
6. Inspect the cover seal and replace if necessary. The seal is part number 5813949.
7. Loosen the clamp and remove the air filter with a 6mm socket or flat screwdriver
8. Remove the pre-filter from the air filter and inspect the pre-filter.
9. Inspect the main filter and replace if necessary. The air filter is part number 7082101.
10. Clean the pre-filter with soapy water and let it air-dry. Notice: If the filter has been soaked with fuel or oil, it must be replaced. Do not attempt to clean the air filter.
11. Install the pre-filter on the main filter. Be sure the screen covers the entire surface of the main filter without folds, creases or gaps.
12. Install the main air filter in the airbox and ensure it is fully seated. The filter should rest on the filter supports. Proper placement of the air filter is important to prevent rattles and air leaks. Notice: Use of a non-Polaris-approved air filter may cause engine damage. Always use a Polaris-approved replacement filter. Replacement filters are available at your Polaris Dealer. In dusty conditions, air filter replacement will be required more often.
13. Tighten the clamp. Torque to 35 in-lbs (4 Nm).
14. Install the airbox cover and spring clamps.
15. Reinstall the seat.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Inc.