Required Tools and Supplies
- Shop Rags
- Torque Wrench
- 15mm Crowfoot Wrench
- Safety Glasses
- 15mm Wrench
- Nitrile Gloves
For more information on tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris snowmobile. To adjust the drive chain tension on your Polaris AXYS platform SKS, follow these steps:
1. Park the sled on a flat, level surface.
2. Remove both side panels by releasing the rubber strap and turning the two quarter-turn latches. Pull the panels out and lift up to remove.
3. Rotate the driven clutch counterclockwise to its end stop to move all chain slack to the tensioner side.
4. Lock the parking brake.
5. Remove the three push rivets on the right side of the console.
6. If your snowmobile is equipped with a battery, remove the battery for additional clearance. Always remove the negative cable first to prevent arcing.
7. Loosen the adjuster bolt jam nut with a 15mm wrench.
8. Finger tighten the adjuster bolt until it can no longer be adjusted by hand. Then back off one-quarter of a turn.
9. Retighten the jam nut. Torque to 21 ft-lbs (28 Nm) with a 15mm crowfoot wrench while holding the adjuster bolt.
10. If equipped, reinstall the battery, beginning with the positive cable first to prevent arcing.
11. Also reinstall the three push rivets on the console.
12. Reinstall both side panels by inserting the tabs at the bottom and top.
13. Finally, secure the rubber straps and the quarter-turn latches.
Look for information on changing your chaincase fluid? Read SKS Chaincase Fluid Replacement.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. To find a dealer near you, use the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Inc.