This article explains how to check and replace the transmission fluid on 2020 to 2022 Pro XD 2000/4000G (Pro XD Full-Size Gas) and 2019 and newer Pro XD 2000/4000D (Pro XD Full-Size Diesel) vehicles. If your Pro XD Full-Size Gas is from 2023 or newer, reference 2023+ Pro XD Full-Size Gas Transmission Fluid Replacement.
Always check and change the transmission (main gearcase) oil at the intervals outlined in the Periodic Maintenance Chart in your Owner's Manual. Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Pro XD.
Required Tools and Supplies:
- 8mm Allen Socket
- Torque Wrench
- AGL Gearcase Lubricant & Transmission Fluid
- Drain Pan
- Shop Towels
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Transmission Fluid Check
The fill plug is located on the rear of the gearcase. Maintain the fluid level at the bottom of the fill plug hole.
1. Position the vehicle on a level surface.
2. Remove the fill plug with an 8mm Allen socket. The fill plug is located on the rear of the gearcase (1).
3. Check the fluid level.
4. Add the recommended fluid to the bottom of the fill plug hole, if necessary. Do not overfill.
The recommended fluid is AGL Gearcase Lubricant & Transmission Fluid, part number 2878068 for 12 quarts, part number 2878069 for 4 gallons. See your dealer to order the fluid.
5. Reinstall the fill plug. Torque to 12 ft-lbs (16 Nm).
Transmission Fluid Replacement
1. Remove the fill plug (1) with an 8mm Allen socket.
2. Place a drain pan under the drain plug, located on the bottom of the gearcase (2). Tip: Place a shop towel in the bottom of the pan to prevent splashing of fluid.
3. Access the drain plug through the hole in the skid plate and remove the drain plug. Allow the fluid to drain completely.
4. Clean and reinstall the drain plug. Torque to 12 ft-lbs (16 Nm).
5. Add the recommended fluid to the bottom of the fill plug hole. Do not overfill. The main gearcase capacity is 41 oz. (1200 mL).
6. Reinstall the fill plug. Torque to 12 ft-lbs (16 Nm).
7. Check for leaks. Discard used fluid properly.
To purchase parts and fluid, or for maintenance assistance, contact your Commercial dealer. To find a dealer near you, use the Dealer Locator.
For more maintenance procedure information, refer to your Owner's Manual.
For information on tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Industries Inc.