At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to THINK OUTSIDE.
Senior Design Engineer – Driveline
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced design engineer to join our Off Road Vehicle (ORV) team supporting the RZR and General Product Lines. In this role, you will be responsible for leading the design and development of Driveline system components (transmissions, right angle drives, prop shafts, half shafts, etc.) using a Systems Engineering Approach.
The systems engineer will work closely with program architects and product management on key deliverables from design through production.
- Design and develop industry leading RZR/General ORV Driveline Systems.
- Create and maintain original specifications, DFMEA, and DVP&R.
- Design and develop system to meet vehicle level targets
- Supports the validation and manufacturing strategy for all enclosure sub-system variants from concept through production.
- Determines the ideal component manufacturing method to ensure overall design, performance, and cost goals are met.
- Collaborates with designers and engineers inside and outside the team.
- Completes design tasks in the Polaris Release System and ensures their timely release.
- Organize and conduct design reviews on assigned project to ensure adequate input and involvement.
- Analyze manufacturing and field problems and determine corrective actions.
- Ability to ride ORV vehicles for the purpose of field development and performance evaluation.
- Benchmark competitive designs.
Required Education, Skills & Knowledge:
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- 5+ years related design or system engineering experience.
- Experience and strong proficiency with Pro-E (or similar SW) and complex component design utilizing advanced surfacing.
- Experience with detailed system specifications development.
- Understanding of bolted joint design.
- Experience designing parts to strength and weight targets.
- Quality and customer focused.
- GD&T, FMEA, dimensional tolerance stack-ups.
- Quick learner with high level of ambition and drive.
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to work in a team environment.
- Ability to work with and travel to domestic and international technology partners.
- Self-starter that thrives in a fast-paced work environment.
- Microsoft software including Excel, Project, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint.
Preferred Skills & Knowledge:
- Experience with driveline components such as transmissions, right angle drives, propshafts and half shafts.
- Knowledge of driveline related component manufacturing processes including casting, forging, machining, complex plastic component molding (Blow molding, Injection Molding) and rubber hose / ducting (Injection molding, Mandrel molding).
- Strong mechanical aptitude with desire to drive vehicles for development and testing purposes.
- Understanding and/or experience using FEA / CFD software and data post processing for systems optimization preferred Experience using PTC Windchill Product Lifecycle Management software.
- Lab testing and data acquisition experience.
- Fast paced office environment with sense of urgency to deliver forward thinking, product preceding designs and technologies
- Frequent exposure to, and participation in, field and shop fabrication, testing, and development work within the RZR Product line
- Travel as needed (approx. up to 10%) for product research, development, and customer facing opportunities
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to THINK OUTSIDE. Apply today!
As the global leader in Powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2021 sales of $8.2 billion, Polaris’ high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® midsize and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments, and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio. Polaris’ presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.