At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to THINK OUTSIDE.
The Polaris Global Product Safety and Quality team is responsible for early identification of emerging product safety and quality issues through data mining, issue analysis, root cause identification and reporting and monitoring.
The Statistician/Data Scientist will be working collaboratively with the business units, Engineering teams in Design, Development, and Manufacturing to assess risk to guide management decision making for safety and quality topics.
Ideal candidate will be a highly motivated self starter that enjoys innovating, creating and constantly improving functionality.
Candidate should be comfortable with the mathematical nature of data science/statistics and have previous exposure to the use of statistics in the evaluation of product safety and/or quality issues.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- A problem-solving mindset with the ability to understand business challenges and how to apply your analytics expertise to solve them.
- Someone that can present results in a simple manner for both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- A team mentality empowered by the ability to work with a broad range of other business roles.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Actively engage and collaborate with internal business unit project teams to understand post sales quality and safety issues / trends.
- Work and consult with technical teams to solve data-intensive problems using standard statistical/analytical tools.
- Be encouraged and expected to innovate and be creative in your data analysis, problem solving and presentation of solutions.
- Work alongside project teams in the design, development, and analysis of experiments to evaluate potential quality and safety issues in the field
- Use production and failure data to aid in failure root cause identification and bound suspect populations
- Apply statistical analysis and visualization techniques to data.
- Ability to query and join data sets from databases
- Model product reliability and forecast future failure expectations
- Complete studies of sample size, study power, confidence intervals and other factors to ensure integrity of data analysis and conclusions
- Apply various Machine Learning and advanced analytics techniques to perform classification or prediction tasks.
- Create experimental designs
- Present analyses to project team-members and leadership as needed
- Help develop, organize and teach topics around statistics
- Bachelors Degree in Data Science, Math, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering or related field. Masters Degree preferred.
- 5+ years of professional work experience
- 3+ years of statistical work experience
- Experience working with statistics/analytics/visualization tools (examples: Excel, PowerBI, Minitab, JMP, R , Python)
- SQL Data query skills
- Experience working in R, Alteryx and PowerBI desired (experience with Jupyter/Python, SQL, Tableau helpful)
- Experience using one or more Statistical Analysis Programs (i.e. Minitab, JMP, Weibull++)
- Experience working with Global Operations of large organizations, preferably in consumer product manufacturing
- Ability to learn, lead, mentor, educate and support team members
- Self-driven, curious, and creative with a collaborative mindset
- Demonstrated ability to work in diverse, cross-functional teams in a dynamic business environment
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Knowledge or experience in engineering/chemistry/physics-based applications
- Proactive, self-learner and motivated, needs to be current and willing to stay with state-of-the-art and recent science
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to THINK OUTSIDE. Apply today!
As the global leader in Powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2021 sales of $8.2 billion, Polaris’ high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® midsize and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments, and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio. Polaris’ presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.