At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to THINK OUTSIDE.
This role is within the Polaris Product Development Center located in Wyoming, MN. It will report to a central department responsible for supporting the materials engineering and testing requirements of Polaris’ multiple business units. The department currently focuses on Materials and Process Engineering, Part Validation Testing, and Failure Analysis and it has now taken on the additional responsibility of developing an engineering focused measurement lab. A successful applicant will be required to lead and answer measurement-based requests and engage with the various product groups. Initial responsibilities would lie around 3D scanning and measurement of components, assemblies, and even entire vehicles, and post-processing of the scans. Over time the position would be expected to lead and further measurement capabilities of the department to become the primary resource for any measurement-based requests from business units. It will be a diverse work environment with a broad range of responsibilities revolving around the exciting world of powersports and recreational vehicles.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Set up and perform 3D scans and measurements, including but not limited to:
- White/Blue light Scans
- Portable Measuring Arm
- Use scan data to perform tasks such as dimensional overlays on CAD models, CAD model creation, creation of dimensional and pictorial reports analyzing scan data
- Manage the measurement lab, including machine maintenance, calibration, and capital investments
- Be capable of operating typical measurement lab equipment e.g. height gages, calipers, bore gages, thread gages etc.
- Be able to select and use the appropriate procedures, equipment, and standards to produce requested results
- An understanding of the fundamental function of parts/assemblies and be able to suggest appropriate measurement techniques and observations of abnormalities
- Recommends modifications to design and test procedures, equipment, and standards and contributes to the development of new methods for measuring parts and assemblies
- Communicate results effectively across teams
- Work with other resources to perform post-processing of results
- Responsible for prioritizing and managing workflow across multiple projects
- Ensure continual communication of the measurement lab capability throughout the engineering organization
- Drive the capability of the lab to expand into other methods of measurement
- Support and participate in the creation of work instructions and standards
- Other tasks as required
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE:
- Quality inspection/assurance experience
- Experience in a quality/measurement role
- Generation of 3D scans (preferably with GOM ATOS – Capsule/Core/Tritop - equipment)
- Post-processing of data using CAD (Creo preferred)
- Post-processing of measurement data using Polyworks Modeler and Inspector
- CMM programming experience desired
- Faro/Romer Arm experience (Polyworks software) desired
- Geometric dimensioning & tolerancing (GD&T) experience
- Familiarity with calibration management systems and calibration requirements
- Experience working with automotive type parts and assemblies is highly preferred
- Critical thinking
- Strong numeric skills
- Ability to communicate complex information effectively, both verbally and in written form
- Report writing
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- The preferred candidate will have a 2 or 4 year degree in an engineering field.
- Equivalent degrees or significant experience may be considered.
- 2 years of relevant work experience required. Manufacturing and new product development experience desired.
- Laboratory environment
- Some lifting and movement of heavy objects required 50 lbs
- Travel <10% possible
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to THINK OUTSIDE. Apply today!
As the global leader in Powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2021 sales of $8.2 billion, Polaris’ high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® midsize and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments, and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio. Polaris’ presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.