At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to THINK OUTSIDE.
We have a great opportunity for a design engineer to join the Indian Motorcycle engineering team. In this role, you will be designing bodywork sub-systems from concept to production, with an emphasis on plastic part design. You’ll support the technical design, development, and validation of sub-systems using systems engineering principles to convert customer needs into sub-system specifications and define key attributes related to your sub-systems. You’ll work closely with industrial design, systems engineers, program teams, vehicle architects, validation engineering, sourcing, and manufacturing teams with the goal of delivering world class motorcycles which meet and exceed customer expectations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead design efforts for motorcycle bodywork including fairings, saddlebags, seats, fenders, trunks, lighting interfaces and various other subsystems.
- Supports all design related component styling, purchasing, and manufacturing issues with emphasis on quality, reliability, timely delivery, and cost.
- Utilize 3D modeling software to design plastic body components.
- Establishes a reasonable project development schedule from concept to production implementation in line with overall business requirements.
- Determines ideal component manufacturing route to ensure overall design, performance, and cost conformance.
- Analyzes existing and new designs to identify and implement cost reduction opportunities.
- Determines nature and type of CAD models, detail drawings, and analysis required to support the above and create/supervises their release through the release cycle.
- Prepares preliminary sketches and/or schematic diagrams and/or presentations to aid in the understanding and solution of engineering problems.
- Leads and participates in design reviews on projects to ensure adequate input and involvement from all stakeholders. Ensure proper interactions are maintained to other systems.
- In-person participation at various stages throughout the vehicle development process
- Analyzes field problems and recommends possible solutions.
- Performs other miscellaneous project related assignments.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Other tasks and duties as assigned.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- 5+ years plastics design experience, preferable relating to powersports, automotive, agriculture or consumer products.
- Proficient in surfacing and solid modeling using a CAD modeling package, preferably PTC Creo.
- Experience with GD&T, FMEA, dimensional tolerance stack-ups.
- Microsoft software including Excel, Project, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- FEA and dynamic simulation experience preferred.
- Possesses and applies a broad knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures to the completion of difficult technical problems and projects.
- Experience designing components for die casting, stampings, and deep drawing preferred.
- Skilled in prioritizing work and driving many tasks to completion on a similar cadence.
- Ability to navigate ambiguity; self-starter tendencies with demonstrated problem solving ability.
- Exhibits outstanding interpersonal communication skills (both oral and written communication) when working with both domestic and international resources internal and external to Polaris.
- Understands and actively pursues the voice of the customer to exceed customer expectations.
- A passion for the mission, vision, and values of Polaris and Indian Motorcycles.
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain a positive attitude.
- Ability to ride motorcycles and gain licensure highly preferred.
- Fast-paced working environment.
- Travel as needed (up to 5-10%) for product research, development, testing, and customer facing opportunities associated with this role.
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to THINK OUTSIDE. Apply today!
As the global leader in Powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2021 sales of $8.2 billion, Polaris’ high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® midsize and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments, and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio. Polaris’ presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.