At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to THINK OUTSIDE.
This role is based in the Materials Engineering and Testing department located in the Polaris Product Development Center, Wyoming, Mn. This department is a Central Operations Team and provides materials testing, validation and analysis needs for all Polaris powersports platforms including but not limited to off-road vehicles, boats, snowmobiles, motorcycles, and military.
The Sr. Materials Engineer will be working in product development with a focus on Metallurgy, Materials Engineering, Process Validation, and Failure Analysis. This role is also responsible for being a main point of contact for one or more Global Business units (GBUs) and will be responsible for managing customer expectations. There will be daily interactions with cross functional teams and leadership.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Materials processing subject matter expert collaborating with design, manufacturing, quality, and suppliers on a broad range of materials and processes.
- Responsible for prioritizing and managing workflow through the materials lab across multiple projects simultaneously
- Lead failure analysis projects and provide conclusions and recommendations to internal and external customers
- Integrate with cross functional teams across business units to provide rapid response to production and design challenges
- Actively participate in root cause investigations by providing guidance on approach, appropriate tests, and results interpretation
- Participate in advanced technology projects, competitive analysis activities, and provide innovative material solutions
- Support continued growth of the Materials Engineering and Testing group by completing capital projects, identifying opportunities for technology growth, and support continuous improvement activities
- Drive continued education and development of materials related knowledge throughout the organization
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE:
The desired candidate must be independently driven. The pursuit of excellence and self-motivation is essential. Responsibilities require the flexibility to support various processes and materials daily. Position requires an individual with a diverse aptitude and interest in learning new skills to support a growing company and department.
- Familiar with operations of a metallurgical laboratory and equipment conducting a broad range of tasks
- Optical fractography experience, ability to identify fracture origins and failure modes in various materials
- Experience using an SEM and EDS for fractography and characterization activities
- Ability to organize and direct multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience in providing concise reports with audience appropriate conclusions and recommendations
- Integrating with design and testing engineers while conducting failure analysis to understand the conditions of failure and apply cross functional knowledge to conclusions
- Knowledgeable about process controls and procedures used in a variety of material processing methods including but not limited to heat treatment, forging, casting, and welding.
- Experience with CT Xray technology
- Nondestructive testing knowledge and process development including ultrasound and eddy current
- Processing and characterization knowledge of corrosion inhibiting coatings for aesthetic and functional purposes, including but not limited to Chrome, Zinc, anodizing
- Advanced mechanical testing techniques including the use of non-contact extensometers or DIC systems for strain analysis
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor of Science or Master of Science in Material Science or Metallurgical Engineering.
- 7+ years of experience working in a lab, performing failure analysis, characterizing materials, and working with product groups as a Materials Engineering SME.
- Mixture of laboratory and office environment with daily hands on activity.
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to THINK OUTSIDE. Apply today!
As the global leader in Powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2021 sales of $8.2 billion, Polaris’ high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® midsize and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments, and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio, including Transamerican Auto Parts. Polaris’ presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.