At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to THINK OUTSIDE.
Sr. Director, Legal – Employment and Labor Law
Reporting to the Vice President, Legal - Employment and Labor, the successful candidate will work closely within the legal team and key business stakeholders to provide high-quality legal advice, primarily in the areas of labor and employment law.
This role will support Polaris’ global business units and human resources teams and the successful candidate will be expected to independently manage multiple priorities, skillfully advise internal business colleagues, and efficiently direct outside counsel and consultants. Significant experience in advising clients about risks and compliance associated with federal and state employment laws is required – including but not limited to fair employment and human rights practices, nondiscrimination and anti-harassment, affirmative action and government contractor compliance requirements, talent management and restructuring, employee relations compliance requirements, human resource policy administration, disability law and accommodations, pay practices, FMLA and other leave, restrictive covenants, general immigration compliance, and investigation protocols. International, employment litigation, and traditional labor law experience is also a consideration.
The ideal candidate also will possess strong leadership and managerial courage, emotional intelligence and maturity, an appropriate sense of urgency, and excellent business partnership and relationship-building skills. Previous experience working across a manufacturing or distribution or related environment is strongly preferred. A passion for the outdoors is also highly desired.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Efficiently guide and educate internal clients on all manner of employment and labor law topics; serve as the employment and labor law subject matter expert in support of global business unit initiatives
- Independently manage portions of the company’s employment and labor legal matters, including litigation and agency charge matters, in a manner that reflects internal priorities and protects company interests
- Provide effective advocacy through negotiation, legal writing, oral communication and counseling
- Provide ongoing support to compliance and ethics initiatives
- Lead or significantly contribute to process-improvement related to employment and labor relations practices
- Negotiate settlements and disputes; independently and effectively manage and oversee outside counsel, as needed, and represent Polaris at mediations and trials for employment matters
- Lead and contribute to process-improvement projects in support of the Legal Department’s mission and initiatives
- Develop and provide training to corporate colleagues on employment issues
- Monitor, review, and resolve day-to-day legal and regulatory issues as they are assigned
KEY QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS:
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school
- Licensed and in good standing to practice law in at least one U.S. state, with the ability to become licensed in Minnesota
- 10-15 years of significant employment and labor law experience either in-house or at a law firm, with a dedicated practice focus on employment and labor law.
- Confident team player with attorney and non-attorney legal professionals and business partners. Ability to manage, mentor, and direct colleagues in a collaborative setting
- Strong negotiation and dispute resolution skills
- Managerial and leadership courage
- Emotional intelligence and maturity
- Assertive self-starter with excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and superior time-management skills
- Demonstrated ability to provide practical and strategic legal advice to senior business leaders
- Experience working in or with organizations with an hourly manufacturing or distribution center workforce preferred
- Corporate headquarters office location with hybrid option.
- Intermittent travel as needed
This position is not eligible for sponsorship
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to THINK OUTSIDE. Apply today!
At Polaris we put our employees first, by offering a holistic approach to their health and financial wellbeing. Polaris is proud to offer competitive compensation, including a market-leading profit-sharing plan that is fundamental to our pay-for-performance culture. At Polaris, employees are owners of the company through company contributions to our Employee Stock Ownership Plan and discounted employee stock purchases plan. Employees receive a generous matching contribution to 401(k), financial wellness education and consultation to plan for their financial future. In addition to competitive pay, Polaris provides a comprehensive suite of benefits, including health, dental, and vision insurance, wellness programs, paid time off, gym & personal training reimbursement, life insurance and disability offerings. Through the Polaris Foundation and our Polaris Gives paid volunteer time off, we support employees who actively volunteer their time, efforts, and passions to improve the health and wellbeing of the communities in which they live, play and work. Employees at Polaris drive our success and are rewarded for their commitment.
As the global leader in powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. Polaris' high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; military and commercial off-road vehicles; snowmobiles; Indian Motorcycle® mid-size and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; Aixam quadricycles; Goupil electric vehicles; and pontoon and deck boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with a robust portfolio of parts, garments, and accessories. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.