Dealer and Commercial Counsel (Hybrid)Medina, MN
At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to THINK OUTSIDE.
This Corporate Counsel role will lead legal support for dealer relations for all Global Business Units (GBU’s) and for Polaris Adventures’ Outfitters. This role will work directly with all the lead GBU lawyers to direct and manage the legal aspects of dealer and outfitter relations for each GBU. In addition, the role will support commercial contracting and provide day-to-day counseling support for the Off Road Vehicles Business Unit (ORV), Polaris Adventures, and the other GBU’s, as needed, working closely with the lead GBU lawyer for such businesses. Polaris is an $9B+, fortune 500 company, with an independent network of more than 200 outfitters and over 1,500 dealers throughout the United States covering all product lines across the portfolio of Polaris brands. The Polaris ORV Business Unit leads the powersports industry with $6B+ in sales through its leading Ranger, RZR and Sportsman vehicle brands, and its Commercial, Government and Defense divisions. Polaris Adventures is an industry-leading service model that provides unique and memorable riding experiences to consumers through a network of independent outfitters. This role reports to the VP Legal, ORV & Polaris Adventures.
The ideal candidate for this role will have significant legal experience either in-house or at law firm with strong corporate/transactional and dealer/distribution law background. The candidate will need presence, confidence, and judgment to manage key stakeholders and top strategic priorities for GBUs, including presenting to executives and leading and driving large-scale cross-functional projects. In addition, the ideal candidate would have experience and comfort with general commercial contracting matters, including agreements relating to marketing, services/consulting, and the purchase of goods.
Polaris encourages candidates from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Lead support for Dealer and Outfitter Relations (time allocation: ~60%)
- Lead and provide a full range of legal support for dealer and outfitter relations across all GBUs and for Polaris Adventures.
- Lead legal support for cross-functional strategic initiatives relating the dealers and outfitters.
- Coordinate closely with dealer and outfitter relations subject matter experts inside the GBUs.
- Draft and negotiate dealer and outfitter agreements and policies, and other commercial agreements relating to the distribution of Polaris products.
- Provide legal review of and counsel on dealer and outfitter agreements, programs, and policies.
- Provide legal support for various regulatory compliance questions and issues relating to state dealer laws and other laws and regulations affecting the distribution of Polaris products.
- Support and manage dealer and outfitter disputes with lead GBU counsel and litigation subject matter experts.
- Collaborate with the legal and finance team on dealer and consumer financing arrangements.
- Manage efficient use of outside counsel as required.
Support Commercial Contracting and Legal Counseling for the Off-Road Global Business Unit, Polaris Adventures, and other GBUS, as needed. (time allocation: 40%)
- Lead and support legal aspects of various cross-functional and corporate projects driven by GBU strategic business priorities (including support of the structuring, drafting and negotiation of commercial agreements with vendors, partners, and sponsorship agreements).
- Support business leaders in navigating common contract questions and troubleshooting various issues with agreements.
- Manage commercial disputes including but not limited to consumer fraud, consumer leasing, warranty claims, contract, and misrepresentation issues.
- Provide counsel and support for new product launches.
- Prepare and advise on marketing guidelines and review marketing materials, advertisements, and promotions for compliance with FTC and e-commerce laws, state regulations and marketing guidelines.
- Perform legal research and provide legal interpretation of relevant statutes, regulations, and standards
- Partner with subject matter expert colleagues to support litigation, privacy, compliance, product safety, and employment matters
- Participate in the development of corporate training programs on legal and compliance issues relevant to the strategic initiatives of the business.
- Work on other special projects.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Minnesota licensed attorney (or ability to get licensed) with at least 5-10 years of experience.
- Ability to understand business needs and partner with internal customers, cross-functional teams and third parties to find creative solutions to complex problems
- Ability to triage a heavy workflow, setting appropriate expectations with internal clients and delivering results efficiently and effectively
- Confident team player with attorney and non-attorney legal professionals and business partners.
- Strong negotiation and dispute resolution skills.
- Managerial and leadership courage.
- Emotional strength and maturity.
- Assertive self-starter with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and superior time management skills.
- Hybrid working environment
- Occasional travel
This position is not eligible for sponsorship
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to THINK OUTSIDE. Apply today!
At Polaris we put our employees first, by offering a holistic approach to their health and financial wellbeing. Polaris is proud to offer competitive compensation, including a market-leading profit-sharing plan that is fundamental to our pay-for-performance culture. At Polaris, employees are owners of the company through company contributions to our Employee Stock Ownership Plan and discounted employee stock purchases plan. Employees receive a generous matching contribution to 401(k), financial wellness education and consultation to plan for their financial future. In addition to competitive pay, Polaris provides a comprehensive suite of benefits, including health, dental, and vision insurance, wellness programs, paid time off, gym & personal training reimbursement, life insurance and disability offerings. Through the Polaris Foundation and our Polaris Gives paid volunteer time off, we support employees who actively volunteer their time, efforts, and passions to improve the health and wellbeing of the communities in which they live, play and work. Employees at Polaris drive our success and are rewarded for their commitment.
As the global leader in powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. Polaris' high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; military and commercial off-road vehicles; snowmobiles; Indian Motorcycle® mid-size and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; Aixam quadricycles; Goupil electric vehicles; and pontoon and deck boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with a robust portfolio of parts, garments, and accessories. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.