Manufacturing Engineer - WeldHuntsville, AL
At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to THINK OUTSIDE.
The Weld Manufacturing Engineer is responsible for establishing and implementing the most cost-efficient methods for production. This individual will plan and coordinate the activities necessary to produce specified products within safety, quality and cost standards and ensure schedule compliance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Directs/guides tooling techs and robot programmers in operations.
- Directly manage a single or multiple process tech and other technical direct reports.
- Work with a team of engineers and supervisors in order to achieve department goals.
- Identifies areas of unnecessary cost and drive cost savings for the department.
- Develop and implement new manual and automated welding processes with ability to recommend and specify equipment details.
- Develops and updates process documentation and procedure instruction.
- Conducts direct labor studies using acceptable engineering practices and establishes labor standards on operations, set up, and workstation layout.
- Defines tooling and fixturing used in the manufacturing process, while also assisting with ideas for specialized processes.
- Coordinates with tool vendor to specify or procure new tooling and fixtures to make necessary changes.
- Available to travel to run off new tooling at vendor sites.
- Analyzes and evaluates manufacturing methods and standards.
- Provides solutions to problems that adversely affect cost, operator safety, productivity and quality.
- Qualify and develop new welding specifications.
- Work closely with other engineering groups such a Design, Assembly, Tube fab and Paint.
- Work with department M.E.s as well as New Product Engineers on model year changes and new product.
- Recognize current production problems and provide feedback to the team and direct feedback to design engineers.
- Assists in development and troubleshooting of manufacturing welding equipment.
- Assists in preparation of departmental budget including material, manpower, equipment and outside procurement costs, and operates within approved parameters.
- Reviews preliminary designs, making recommendations to reduce costs and improve manufacturability and quality on new or existing parts.
- Develops detailed and accurate capital equipment studies, makes appropriate recommendation.
- Operates within an approved budget.
- Reviews and evaluates manufacturing costs pertaining to make vs. buy decisions.
- Drive lean culture.
- Performs other assignments as requested.
- Works on weld tooling in to minimize down time to production, during improvement projects and model year changes.
- Perform assessment and critical decisions in line down situation.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
- B.S. in Weld Science, Industrial, Mechanical, or Manufacturing engineering required
- 3+ years of Manufacturing Engineering experience in a fast-paced production environment preferably in automotive industry
- Strong organizational, communication, and leadership skills
- Excellent verbal and written skills required
- Proficiency with PC's and Microsoft suite
- Proficiency in CAD including AutoCAD, CREO and SolidWorks
- Understanding of SPC
- Strong Project Management skills
- Experience with weld tool maintenance and design
- Weld experience
- Robotic Weld Programming experience
- Lean Manufacturing knowledge
- Ability to read and interpret weld and mechanical print
- Works independently with moderate supervisory direction
- Fast-paced manufacturing environment with high technology driven processes.
- Office and manufacturing environment with most of the time spent on the floor. Some travel (<20%) required.
- Strong team dynamic.
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to THINK OUTSIDE. Apply today!
At Polaris we put our employees first, by offering a holistic approach to their health and financial wellbeing. Polaris is proud to offer competitive compensation, including a market-leading profit-sharing plan that is fundamental to our pay-for-performance culture. At Polaris, employees are owners of the company through company contributions to our Employee Stock Ownership Plan and discounted employee stock purchases plan. Employees receive a generous matching contribution to 401(k), financial wellness education and consultation to plan for their financial future. In addition to competitive pay, Polaris provides a comprehensive suite of benefits, including health, dental, and vision insurance, wellness programs, paid time off, gym & personal training reimbursement, life insurance and disability offerings. Through the Polaris Foundation and our Polaris Gives paid volunteer time off, we support employees who actively volunteer their time, efforts, and passions to improve the health and wellbeing of the communities in which they live, play and work. Employees at Polaris drive our success and are rewarded for their commitment.
As the global leader in powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. Polaris' high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; military and commercial off-road vehicles; snowmobiles; Indian Motorcycle® mid-size and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; Aixam quadricycles; Goupil electric vehicles; and pontoon and deck boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with a robust portfolio of parts, garments, and accessories. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.