At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to THINK OUTSIDE.
Project Engineer - Plastic Systems and Technology Development
Responsible for the design and development of plastic vehicle components from concept to production achieving the highest quality at the lowest overall cost in the most expeditious manner. Work closely with Program Architects, Industrial Design, B-side Design Team, and other functions on key bodywork deliverables, create and execute industry-leading designs and tooling that align with Sourcing plans, and work with Operations to develop and execute manufacturing strategies that ensure production success.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Utilize design leadership skills to define plastic part break-up and system integration for new vehicle platforms
- Work with Industrial Design to translate sketches into efficient bodywork designs
- Work closely with design team to provide technical and style direction ensuring part designs meet aesthetic and functional requirements
- Primarily responsible for injection molded parts however knowledge of composite, blow, and vacuum forming is a plus
- Manage design schedule requirements by coordinating with the product team
- Conduct cost analysis defining tooling, part, and assembly estimates
- Perform material selection by identifying key physical properties that meet KPCs
- Participate in design reviews coordinating plastic components with other vehicle systems and soliciting design input from cross functional teams
- Participate in development builds resolving quality and cost issues
- Qualification of new tools, interfacing with tool shop, molders, and material suppliers
- Development of attachment features selecting and implementing cost effective designs
- Collaborate with sourcing to define supplier specifications and conduct supplier assessments
- Identify and define post molding and assembly operations
- Manufacturing and quality support
- Analyze field failures defining root cause to implementing cost effective corrective actions
- Participate in defining next generation products by benchmarking existing vehicles defining tooling/BOM cost
Education, Skills & Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or other related engineering degree
- 4+ yrs. experience in product development
- Strong leadership and communication skills with ability to work in a matrix organization
- Strong computer skills and experience with 3D CAD modeling required, CREO preferred
- Understanding of plastic polymers, plastic molding processes, and tool design – injection molding, thermoforming, other
- Supplier management skills with the ability to interface with a broad technical base
- Strong project management, organizational skills and experience influencing other leaders
- Passion to set and meet high performance standards
- Power sports or automotive experience a plus
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to THINK OUTSIDE. Apply today!
As the global leader in Powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2021 sales of $8.2 billion, Polaris’ high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® midsize and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments, and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio. Polaris’ presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.