At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to THINK OUTSIDE.
Job Description: Powertrain Design Engineer
The successful applicant for this position will be responsible for leading the design process of engine related components and systems from concept to production to achieve the product objectives within program timelines. In this role, you will be collaborating with technical leaders, subject matter experts and project teams to define key requirements to execute the design and release of various engine components and systems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs all design related activities related to component function with emphasis on quality, reliability, timely delivery, cost, and particularly manufacturability; handles level 1 programs with ease.
- Establishes a reasonable project development schedule from concept to production implementation in line with overall business requirements.
- Determines ideal component manufacturing method to ensure overall design, performance, and cost conformance.
- Creates and releases 3D models, detailed drawings, perform analyses to support the above and complete their release through PTC Windchill.
- Prepares preliminary sketches and/or schematic diagrams and/or presentations to aid in the understanding and solution of engineering problems.
- Lead and participate in design reviews to ensure adequate input and involvement from all stakeholder groups.
- Analyzes supplier/manufacturing, test and field problems and recommends possible solutions.
- Participates in peer teams to share knowledge and expertise.
- Coordinate engineering efforts at supplier locations before, during and after a production launch to ensure specification accuracy and accountability and co-engineer powertrain components
- Performs other miscellaneous project related assignments.
- Coordinate work across multiple global cross functional product teams within (FEA, Supplier Quality) and outside (external design firms) of the Polaris organization.
- On-site support of supplier run at rates (RARs)
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
- Required-B.S in Mechanical Engineering, Agricultural Engineering, or equivalent
- 3-6 years minimum related design experience in an O.E. Environment
- Required-experience with a 3-D CAD modeling package, Creo preferred
- Strong mechanical aptitude, preferred experience with one or more of the following Powertrain Design Categories: Engine Architecture, Power Cylinder, Cranktrain, Cylinder Head, Crankcases, Valvetrain, Intake and Exhaust Systems, Fuel Systems, Lubrication System, Starting and Charging Systems, Transmissions and Gears, Bolted Joint Analysis, Performance Development as related to engine design
- Experience with creation of specifications for system requirements and performance
- Experience in design related processes such as: GD&T, FMEA, DVP&R, DRBFM, dimensional tolerance stack-ups
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong problem-solving and root cause analysis skills preferred
- High level of people skills, able to work in a global team environment
- Ability to work with domestic and international technology partners
- Microsoft software including Excel, Project, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint
1. Fast paced office environment
2. Travel as needed (less than 10%)
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to THINK OUTSIDE. Apply today!
At Polaris we put our employees first, by offering a holistic approach to their health and financial wellbeing. Polaris is proud to offer competitive compensation, including a market-leading profit-sharing plan that is fundamental to our pay-for-performance culture. At Polaris, employees are owners of the company through company contributions to our Employee Stock Ownership Plan and discounted employee stock purchases plan. Employees receive a generous matching contribution to 401(k), financial wellness education and consultation to plan for their financial future. In addition to competitive pay, Polaris provides a comprehensive suite of benefits, including health, dental, and vision insurance, wellness programs, paid time off, gym & personal training reimbursement, life insurance and disability offerings. Through the Polaris Foundation and our Polaris Gives paid volunteer time off, we support employees who actively volunteer their time, efforts, and passions to improve the health and wellbeing of the communities in which they live, play and work. Employees at Polaris drive our success and are rewarded for their commitment.
As the global leader in powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. Polaris' high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; military and commercial off-road vehicles; snowmobiles; Indian Motorcycle® mid-size and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; Aixam quadricycles; Goupil electric vehicles; and pontoon and deck boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with a robust portfolio of parts, garments, and accessories. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.