At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to THINK OUTSIDE.
The Design Engineer with the Slingshot Team is responsible for leading the design process of On-Road related components and systems from concept to production. This role will support new product development (NPD) by executing the product plan and providing advanced technical solutions to meet the consumer’s needs on a wide range of designs and manufacturing process.
- Supports all design related component styling, purchasing and manufacturing issues with emphasis on quality, reliability, timely delivery, and cost.
- Establishes a reasonable project development schedule from concept to production implementation in line with overall business requirements.
- Determines ideal component manufacturing route to ensure overall design, performance, and cost conformance.
- Analyzes existing and new designs to identify and implement cost reduction opportunities.
- Determines nature and type of electronic models, detail drawings, and analysis required to support the above and supervises their release through the release cycle.
- Prepares preliminary sketches and/or schematic diagrams and/or presentations to aid in the understanding and solution of engineering problems.
- Participates in design reviews on projects to ensure adequate input and involvement from all interested groups.
- Analyzes field problems and recommends possible solutions.
- Assists in the preparation of the monthly project status report.
- Performs other miscellaneous project related assignments.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
Experience & Skills
- Minimum 2 years of demonstrated experience, ideally within Powersports or a similar consumer products category.
- Experience with the following vehicle design and/or application of Chassis/Frame systems, and Fuel Systems considered an extreme plus.
- Experience with and fundamental understanding of component design using 3-D CAD modeling of welded structures, stampings, castings, forgings, and bolted joints highly preferred.
- High level of people skills, able to work in a team environment, and able to effectively leverage the expertise of the Subject Matter Experts.
- Possesses and applies broad technical knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures as demonstrated by academic and practical experience to the completion of difficult technical problems and projects.
- Experience with specification development and system-level interface considerations.
- Demonstrated experience utilizing Pro-Engineer Creo preferred or related 3-D modeling software.
- Skilled in multitasking and executing many tasks at once.
- Experience in vehicle weight reduction (material, design) and cost reduction preferred.
- FEA experience and application of FEA in design preferred.
- GD&T, FMEA, dimensional tolerance stack-ups.
- Exhibits outstanding interpersonal communication skills (both oral and written communication).
- Understands and actively pursues the voice of the customer to exceed customer expectations.
- Ability to work with domestic and international technology partners.
- Required-B.S.M.E. in Mechanical Engineering, Agricultural Engineering, or equivalent.
Holding yourself and others to high standards of accountability, and creating an infrastructure and transparent corporate culture that supports and measures personal and organizational responsibility and accountability.
Creating a welcoming environment that encourages different perspectives and new ideas, building a culture of curiosity, openness, and creativity across the organization and the wider community.
Collaborating with Others
Working together with others in a cooperative and supportive manner to achieve shared goals.
Focusing efforts on achieving high quality results consistent that meet or exceed standard expectations.
Customer Value Management
Developing customer value plans to create value for sales opportunities through effective communications and thorough knowledge of customers and markets.
- Fast-paced working environment.
- Up to 10-15% domestic travel as needed for this role.
- Location Wyoming, Minnesota.
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to THINK OUTSIDE. Apply today!
At Polaris we put our employees first, by offering a holistic approach to their health and financial wellbeing. Polaris is proud to offer competitive compensation, including a market-leading profit-sharing plan that is fundamental to our pay-for-performance culture. At Polaris, employees are owners of the company through company contributions to our Employee Stock Ownership Plan and discounted employee stock purchases plan. Employees receive a generous matching contribution to 401(k), financial wellness education and consultation to plan for their financial future. In addition to competitive pay, Polaris provides a comprehensive suite of benefits, including health, dental, and vision insurance, wellness programs, paid time off, gym & personal training reimbursement, life insurance and disability offerings. Through the Polaris Foundation and our Polaris Gives paid volunteer time off, we support employees who actively volunteer their time, efforts, and passions to improve the health and wellbeing of the communities in which they live, play and work. Employees at Polaris drive our success and are rewarded for their commitment.
As the global leader in powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. Polaris' high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; military and commercial off-road vehicles; snowmobiles; Indian Motorcycle® mid-size and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; Aixam quadricycles; Goupil electric vehicles; and pontoon and deck boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with a robust portfolio of parts, garments, and accessories. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.