At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to THINK OUTSIDE.
Our team develops best in class off-road vehicle dynamics performance to our customers through innovative chassis controls features and electromechanical systems. Active chassis calibration and controls engineers are responsible for providing input to hardware development as well as developing actively controlled chassis technologies and control systems to deliver confident and exciting vehicle dynamics and chassis controls performance to our customers.
This position will have a specific focus on our chassis comfort systems such as electronic power steering, semi-active suspension, and electronic brake control. The engineer will be expected to collaborate with product groups and broader engineering teams for successful integration of actively controlled chassis technologies and control systems into the various vehicle platforms. The engineer will also be expected to develop, implement, and maintain procedures and specifications to ensure thorough definition, testing and production release of existing and new active chassis system technologies and calibrations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Uses engineering judgement, simulation, and test data to develop and specify software requirements, hardware requirements, calibration activities, and validation testing required for successful implementation of electromechanical hardware and control system technologies.
- Performance testing and data collection is required to ensure that the systems meet the performance targets for the vehicle.
- Responsible for translating vehicle-level requirements to system level specifications that accurately reflect the business needs.
- Lead and enforce development process for functional safety using risk assessment tools, including hazard analysis and risk assessment (HARA), failure modes and effects analysis (FMEA) and track resultant tests and validation activities.
- Identify and lead pre-development activities including concept development and rapid controls prototyping of new technologies and features.
- Develop and specify fault reactions, control system diagnostics, and communication between controllers.
- Oversees end-to-end calibration and development activities to ensure robust system design.
- Interacts with and influences multiple engineering teams and disciplines in hardware design, electrical systems, interfacing controllers, manufacturing, service, and external suppliers.
- Defines system level service and production line procedures required for new product introduction
- Expected to provide feedback and identify issues with software and algorithm design.
- Root-cause analysis and troubleshooting of controls and hardware systems.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
- BS Engineering Degree in related field (mechanical, electrical, etc.) with vehicle testing and development related experience
- Experience with testing, calibration of electromechanical systems, or data collection is required (power steering, engine controlled, brake systems, semi-active damping)
- Automotive chassis calibration and development experience of power steering or other systems is a plus
- Knowledge and experience with data analytics using Matlab, Python, or other tools required
- Experience with calibration and development tools including Vector, ETAS/Inca, AVL Creta
- Can read and understand software diagrams (Matlab/Simulink or other)
- Understanding of how a control system and hardware are developed together to be functional
- Experience working with complex vehicle systems with multiple integrated controllers
- In depth knowledge and experience with controller area networks (CAN) and calibration communication protocols and tools
- Demonstrated technical leadership and communication with cross-functional teams and multiple engineering disciplines is highly valued
- Experience with data acquisition systems, electronics, harness fabrication, as well as various sensors needed to make engineering decisions or develop vehicle system models
- Fundamental knowledge and experience in vehicle dynamics required
- Knowledge of embedded control system development required
- Hands-on experience with vehicle repair and maintenance is a plus
- Moderate travel is required for vehicle development
- Ability to drive off-road vehicles is required, extensive experience driving off-road vehicles, ATV’s, snowmobiles, or motorcycles is a plus
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to THINK OUTSIDE. Apply today!
At Polaris we put our employees first, by offering a holistic approach to their health and financial wellbeing. Polaris is proud to offer competitive compensation, including a market-leading profit-sharing plan that is fundamental to our pay-for-performance culture. At Polaris, employees are owners of the company through company contributions to our Employee Stock Ownership Plan and discounted employee stock purchases plan. Employees receive a generous matching contribution to 401(k), financial wellness education and consultation to plan for their financial future. In addition to competitive pay, Polaris provides a comprehensive suite of benefits, including health, dental, and vision insurance, wellness programs, paid time off, gym & personal training reimbursement, life insurance and disability offerings. Through the Polaris Foundation and our Polaris Gives paid volunteer time off, we support employees who actively volunteer their time, efforts, and passions to improve the health and wellbeing of the communities in which they live, play and work. Employees at Polaris drive our success and are rewarded for their commitment.
As the global leader in powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. Polaris' high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; military and commercial off-road vehicles; snowmobiles; Indian Motorcycle® mid-size and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; Aixam quadricycles; Goupil electric vehicles; and pontoon and deck boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with a robust portfolio of parts, garments, and accessories. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.