At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to THINK OUTSIDE.
As a Design Engineer, you will be responsible for leading the design process of Indian Motorcycle/On-Road related components and systems from concept to production in order to achieve the product objectives within a specified time. In this role, you will support new product introduction (NPI) by executing the technical design, development, and validation of chassis system projects. You will convert customer needs into sub-system specifications and define key attributes related to your sub-systems. Working closely with Systems Engineers, Vehicle Architects, Program, Validation, Continuous Improvement, Sourcing and Manufacturing teams you will work to design, source and release class leading sub-systems for new products.
Location: Wyoming, MN
Job Level: Individual Contributor
- Creates component or system design requirements and specifications.
- Supports all design related component styling, purchasing and manufacturing issues with emphasis on quality, reliability, timely delivery and cost.
- Establishes a reasonable project development schedule from concept to production implementation in line with overall business requirements.
- Determines ideal component manufacturing route to ensure overall design, performance and cost conformance.
- Analyze existing and new designs to identify and implement cost reduction opportunities.
- Generates CAD models, detail drawings, and analysis required to support the above and supervises their release through the release cycle.
- Prepares preliminary sketches and/or schematic diagrams and/or presentations to aid in the understanding and solution of engineering problems and risk.
- Coordinates design reviews on projects to ensure adequate cross functional input and involvement from all internal stakeholders.
- Performs other miscellaneous project related assignments.
Experience & Skills
- 1-5 years related design experience; preferably in related consumer product categories (automotive, agriculture, accessories, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience 3-D CAD modeling software (CREO, PTC Windchill, Pro-Engineering, or related).
- Experience with complex system tradeoff analyses, troubleshooting, risk management (project & technical including but not limited to HARA, DFMEA, etc.) strongly preferred
- GD&T, FMEA, dimensional tolerance stack-ups
- Creation of original system requirements and specifications
- Exhibits outstanding interpersonal communication skills (both oral and written communication) and able to effectively leverage the expertise of Subject Matter Experts.
- Powersports riding experience (Motorcycle and/or ORV) strongly preferred.
- Understands and actively pursues the voice of the customer to exceed customer expectations.
- A passion for the mission, vision, and values of Polaris and Indian Motorcycles.
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain a positive attitude.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Agricultural Engineering, or a related category.
- Fast paced office environment
- 10% travel throughout the year, both domestic and internationally.
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to THINK OUTSIDE. Apply today!
As the global leader in Powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2021 sales of $8.2 billion, Polaris’ high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® midsize and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments, and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio. Polaris’ presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.