Required Tools and Supplies
- 10mm Socket (Included in Kit)
- 13mm Socket
- T25 TORX® Socket (Headliner Removal)
- T40 TORX® Socket (Headliner Removal)
- Panel Popper (Headliner Removal)
- Torque Tool (Included in Kit)
- Torque Wrench
- 6mm Drill Bit
- 9mm Drill Bit
- Marking Tool
- Shop Rags
- Nitrile Gloves
- Eye Protection
For more information on tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when installing accessories on your Polaris RANGER. To install the roof rack (part number 2889237 or part number 2889236) on your RANGER 1000 or RANGER XP 1000 3-seat or crew, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface, ensure it is in PARK and remove the key. Note: If a roof liner and speakers are installed, they will need to be removed before installing the roof rack. Refer to the written instructions for removal if needed.
2. Once the headliner is removed, disconnect the rear power harness clip from the roof.
3. Set the front and rear extrusion onto a soft surface with the shorter edge facing up.
4. Identify the left and right corner base pieces. The mounting hole will align with the edge of the platform extrusions. Also ensure that the U-shaped groove is facing up.
5. Install the remaining corner base pieces.
6. Arrange the platform extrusions so they mirror each other.
7. Slide a side extrusion into each corner base with the mounting holes sliding under the platform extrusion
8. Repeat this process for the remaining corner bases.
9. Align the mounting holes and loosely install eight of the provided longer fasteners into the side extrusions.
10. Position the planks under the fame assembly with the mounting holes facing up.
11. Align the mounting holes and loosely install four of the provided longer fasteners into the plank.
12. Repeat this process for the remaining planks.
13. Identify the left and right corner covers by comparing the mounting holes.
14. Align the mounting hole on the corner cover with the corner base, and loosely install one of the provided shorter fasteners.
15. Repeat this process for the remaining corner covers.
16. Align the underbar extrusions with the mounting holes on the underside of the planks.
17. Install twelve of the provided longer fasteners into each underbar.
18. Attach the provided socket to the torque tool.
19. Ensure the corner base tabs are inserted into the side extrusion.
20. Torque all fasteners using the included torque tool until it clicks. The underbar fasteners should be torqued from one end sequentially.
21. Set the platform aside.
22. Identify the left and right rear internal brackets.
23. Align the rear internal clip with the tabs facing in and up, and loosely install one of the provided smaller fasteners through the front of the bracket and clamp.
24. Repeat this process for the remaining bracket.
25. Hook the bottom of the bracket assembly into the opening on the crossbar and pivot the bracket up.
26. Align the notch in the bottom of the bracket with the hole in the crossbar.
27. Once aligned, slide the bracket clamp up and tighten the fastener until fully seated.
28. Repeat this process for the remaining rear internal bracket.
29. Identify the left and right front internal bracket.
30. Slide the front internal bracket onto the corresponding side of the frame.
31. Insert one of the provided smaller fasteners up into the bracket and secure with a flat washer and nut.
32. Counter hold the nut and tighten the fastener with a 10mm socket (included) and 10mm wrench.
33. If equipped with an audio system, there will already be a bracket installed, and you will not require a washer or nut for installation.
34. Repeat this process for the remaining front internal bracket.
35. Carefully drill through the underside of the bracket mounting hole with a 6mm drill bit, ensuring not to damage the threads in the clinch nut.
36. From the top of the roof, carefully drill back through the hole with a larger bit (9mm), ensuring not to damage the bracket.
37. Repeat this process for the remaining front and rear brackets.
38. Identify the left and right backbone.
39. Align the backbone with the front and rear bracket mounting holes and loosely secure with one of the provided larger fasteners and a sealing washer.
40. Align the backbone so the center hole in backbone aligns with the cross member on the B-Pillar of the sub frame.
41. In the center backbone mounting hole, mark out a hole for the center foot.
42. Remove the front and rear backbone fasteners and washers and set the backbone aside.
43. Drill a hole through the center hole marking with a 9mm drill bit.
44. Align the center mount bracket on top of the roof rod near the B-Pillar.
45. Install two U-Bolts up through the center bracket and hand tighten four nuts.
46. Align the backbone with the mounting holes and install the three backbone mounting fasteners and sealing washers.
47. Tighten each fastener three turns at a time with a 13mm wrench until they are all fully seated.
48. Repeat this process for the other backbone.
49. With the aid of an assistant, lower the platform tray onto the backbone and ensure the platform is seated on each side. If necessary, adjust the backbone to align the holes of the platform.
50. Align the platform with the mounting holes on the backbone and install ten of the provided shorter fasteners.
51. Torque the fasteners with the included torque tool until it clicks.
52. Torque the backbone fasteners to 89 in-lbs (10 Nm) with a 13mm socket.
53. Torque the center mount bracket fasteners with a 13mm wrench until fully seated. Do not over tighten or the bracket may deform.
54. Finally, reinstall the front and rear audio system and roof lining if previously removed. Refer to the written instructions for installation if needed.
View the full line of Polaris storage options or visit your local Polaris Dealer for more information. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
TORX® is a registered trademark of Acument Intellectual Properties, LLC
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2023 Polaris Industries Inc.