Required Tools and Supplies
- 5/8-Inch Spark Plug Socket
- Torque Wrench
- Air Chuck
- Shop Rags
- Nitrile Gloves
- Eye Protection
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your vehicle. To change the spark plug on your Sportsman 500, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface, ensure it is in park, set the parking brake and remove the key.
2. On X2 models, lift the cargo box before continuing.
3. Lift on the rear of the seat and pull back to remove.
4. Remove the black foam near the fuel tank.
5. Clean the area around the air box with a clean cloth.
6. Release the four air box cover clips and lift the cover up to remove.
7. Inspect the air box cover seal for any wear or damage and replace if necessary.
8. Clean the area around the spark plug to prevent debris from falling into the engine.
9. Carefully lift the spark plug boot off the plug.
10. Blow any dirt or debris out of the spark plug with compressed air to prevent anything from falling into the cylinder.
11. Carefully remove the spark plug for inspection with a 5/8-inch spark plug socket.
12. Inspect the electrodes for wear and carbon buildup and verify there are no cracks around the insulation. The spark plug should have a sharp outer edge with no rounding or erosion.
13. Inspect and adjust the spark plug gap if needed. The gap should measure 0.036 inches (0.09 mm).
14. If necessary, replace with the recommended spark plug. New spark plugs are part number 3070172.
15. Apply a small amount of anti-seize to the spark plug threads.
16. Install the spark plug into the engine, and torque to 14 ft-lbs (19 Nm).
17. Reinstall the spark plug boot and ensure it is fully seated.
18. Reinstall the air box cover and press down to ensure the cover seal is fully seated.
19. Secure the four cover clips.
20. Reinstall the black foam around the air ducts near the fuel tank.
21. Install the seat by aligning the front retaining tabs and pushing down in the rear. On X2 models, also lower the cargo box and ensure it is secure.
22. Finally, start the engine to ensure proper operation.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
NGK® is a registered trademark of NGK Spark Plug Co., Ltd.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2023 Polaris Industries Inc.