Before you ride, perform the pre-ride inspection as described in the Owner's Manual. Read, understand and follow all of the instructions, warnings and safety precautions in the Owner's Manual and on all product labels. Failure to do so could result in serious injury or death.
1. Visually inspect the vehicle, looking for debris, loose fasteners, leaks and worn components that may impair the vehicle’s operation. Pay particular attention to the radiator area for the accumulation of debris, which can cause the engine to overheat. Clean any debris that is found.
2. Check the condition of the tires, looking for any sign of punctures or damage, and inspect the tread depth. Check the tire pressures and verify that they are set to specification. Reference your Owner's Manual or tire pressure label on your vehicle for the correct specs.
3. Inspect the front and rear suspension for leaks, debris and damage.
4. Grease the fitting on the propshaft until fresh grease is seen exiting the joint as needed.
5. Check the brake pads and rotors, looking for corrosion, nicks and burrs.
6. Inspect the PVT and engine intake systems on both sides of the vehicle for blockage or debris. Pay particular attention to the screen on the passenger side of the vehicle and ensure no cargo is blocking the screens.
7. Clean the spark arrestor at the rear of the vehicle. Warning: Allow the vehicle to cool completely before performing any spark arrestor maintenance.
- Remove the spark arrestor fastener with an 8mm socket.
- Carefully pull the spark arrestor out of the exhaust.
- Inspect the screen for wear and damage. Replace if necessary.
- Reinstall the spark arrestor into the exhaust and align the mounting hole.
- Reinstall the spark arrestor fastener, and torque to 8 ft-lbs (11 Nm).
8. Ensure the vehicle is on a level surface to inspect the fluid levels.
9. Inspect the coolant level in the pressurized coolant reservoir through the passenger side rear wheel well. Add coolant as needed by removing the radiator cap cover. Warning: Never remove this cap if the engine is warm or hot.
10. Inspect the brake reservoir underneath the driver side front fender for proper fluid level. Add fluid as needed. Tip: A flashlight can be used to illuminate the reservoir in dark areas.
11. Start the engine and allow to idle for two to three minutes. Stop the engine and wait three minutes before checking the oil. This allows the oil to settle in the bottom of the crankcase. Checking the oil without waiting will give inaccurate measurements.
12. Once you have waited three minutes, move to the engine oil dipstick in the passenger side rear wheel well and begin by cleaning the area around the dipstick.
13. Remove the oil dipstick and wipe with a clean shop towel.
14. Reinstall the oil dipstick fully and remove it again to inspect the oil level.
15. Add the recommended oil as needed. Do not overfill.
16. Verify operation of the door latches.
17. Check the condition and function of the seat harnesses.
- Inspect the full length of the seat harnesses for cuts, wear, fraying, dirt, debris or stiffness.
- Test the buckle and latch for proper operation.
- Always wear a seat harness when riding. The vehicle will limit speed if the driver’s seat belt buckle is not latched.
18. Turn the key ON and inspect the fuel level, ensuring there is enough for your trip.
19. Verify proper operation of the headlights, taillights and brake lights.
20. Continue by checking the steering system for smooth operation from full left to full right.
21. Verify proper brake and accelerator pedal movement, taking note of any binding or sticking.
22. Start the engine and verify there are no warning lights illuminated.
23. Always practice safe riding by wearing the required safety gear listed in your Owner’s Manual.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
509® is a registered trademark of Teton Outfitters, LLC
FOX® is a registered trademark of Fox Factory, Inc.
Maxxis® is a registered trademark of Cheng Shin Rubber Ind. Co., Ltd.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Inc.