Required Tools and Supplies:
- Shop Rags
- Ratchet and T27 TORX® Socket (High Lifter Edition models only)
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
For more information on tools, read Tools and Fasteners Guide. Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when performing air filter maintenance. The air filter for the Polaris Sportsman 850 or XP 1000 is part number 7082101.
To clean or replace the air filter on your Sportsman 850 or Sportsman XP 1000, follow these steps:
1. Place the transmission in PARK.
2. Set the parking brake.
3. Squeeze the seat latch and pull up on the seat to remove it.
4. Remove the rubber end of the clutch duct.
5. On Sportsman 850 or XP 1000 models, remove the rubber strap and remove the airbox cover.
6. With the cover removed, inspect the seal. Replace it if it's warn or damaged in any way. The seal is part number 5813359.
7. On High Lifter Edition models, remove the cover with a T27 TORX® socket.
8. On High Lifter Edition models, the seal is on the airbox and not on the cover. Again, inspect the seal for wear and replace as necessary. The seal is part number 5814345.
9. Remove the filter by pulling rearward.
10. Remove the fabric-type pre-filter from the main filter. Inspect the pre-filter.
11. Wash the pre-filter with hot soap and water. Let it air dry.
12. Inspect the main filter and replace if necessary. Notice: If the filter has been soaked with fuel or oil, it must be replaced. Do not attempt to clean the air filter with compressed air.
13. Wipe the airbox. Notice: Dirt or debris in the intake tube/intake boot could result in severe engine damage. Always clean all dirt and debris from the intake tube before installing the filter.
14. Reinstall the pre-filter onto the main filter. Be sure the screen covers the entire surface of the main filter without folds, creases or gaps.
15. Install the air filter into the airbox, making sure that it is fully seated. Proper placement of the air filter is important to prevent air leaks. Notice: Use of a non-Polaris air filter may cause engine damage. Always use a Polaris-approved replacement filter. Replacement filters are available at your Polaris Dealer. In dusty conditions, air filter replacement will be required more often.
16. On Sportsman 850 or XP 1000 models, reinstall the airbox cover and the strap retaining the cover. Reinstall the rubber end of the clutch duct. On High Lifter Edition models, reinstall the cover and the screw retaining the cover. Tighten until the cover is sealed.
17. Install the seat by lining up the locators in front and pushing down in the rear.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
TORX® is a registered trademark of Acument Intellectual Properties, LLC
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Inc