Production Supervisor - 1st ShiftHuntsville, AL
At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to THINK OUTSIDE.
JOB SUMMARY: This person will provide day-to-day; leadership and supervision in the achievement of productivity, schedule attainment, quality and Employee Health Safety programs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists supervisor in preparation and direction of departmental budget including materials, manpower, equipment, and outside procurement costs. Resolve production issues and makes recommendations to eliminate future problems.
- Maintain compliance with company policies, including but not limited to safety rules, attendance policy, etc. This includes making appropriate recommendations on disciplinary actions to supervisor and manager.
- Direct work assignments per supervisors’ instruction and work schedule.
- Perform supervisory duties for temporary periods of time, as assigned.
- Develop trust within employee groups through fairness, confidentiality, and leadership.
- Communicate effectively through all department levels to provide a clear and consistent message in a changing environment.
- Demonstrate professionalism with all Polaris employees and outside business contacts.
- Maintain the Tier-1 Continuous Improvement Board to achieve safety, quality, delivery, and cost improvement goals.
- Work cross-functionally with quality team to develop and implement quality initiatives within the department to achieve industry leading quality and customer service.
- Investigate and document problems for root cause analysis and countermeasures.
- Responsible for the accurate inventory of their area.
- Work with supervisor and group leads to manage vacations and call-ins.
- Responsible for monitoring and reporting absentee records, labor reporting, overtime approvals, etc.
- Train operators to increase process efficiency while utilizing the cross-training matrix to develop complete set of skills in your area.
- Provide situational leadership and supervision to support Polaris culture and values.
- Develop, coach, and mentor employees. This will include group lead, certified operator, and new operator job instruction training and cross-training.
- Audit and train on operator standard work compliance. Work cross-functionally with Training team on steps to improve standard work compliance.
- Assist supervisor in completing Supervisor’s Investigation Reports. Ensure safe working environment for all employees throughout department. Identifies and reports potential safety issues.
- Maintain OSHA compliance and corporate safety standards within department and Company.
- Coach operators in lean and the principles & tools of the Polaris Production System.
- Establish and implement visual management to improve process using tools such as 5S
- Drive continuous improvement. Escalate issues and make improvements where necessary.
Submit VIPs and coach Group Leads & Operators on how to submit VIPs.
- Use structured problem-solving to eliminate waste and drive incremental improvements.
- Be flexible and open-minded to accommodate additional duties as assigned.
- Willing to work overtime with little or no notice, including Saturday and/or Sunday overtime
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE:
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs and push/pull up to 100 lbs.
- Ability to bend, twist, turn, kneel, squat, and reach overhead.
- Use air/power/vibrating tools and do strong, pincher gripping.
- Stand and walk for the duration of assigned shift.
- It may be necessary to perform any of these functions up to twelve hours per day.
- Demonstrate technical skills in business, quality, and/or manufacturing.
- Have a fundamental understanding of manufacturing / backshop environments and processes
- Need the ability to work with systems, including timekeeping systems (i.e. AS400, Kronos), RF/Bar-coding technology and Microsoft Office.
- Be a performance, results-driven individual with the ability to create/sustain strong, positive, vibrant culture.
- Able to balance many demands at once. Can solve problems, make decisions, and plan.
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Understand, follow, and have ability to train on VWI (Visual Work Instructions)
- Ability to effectively respond to containment & quality related / resolution events
EDUCATION & OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- 4-year bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in manufacturing, with 1 year being with Polaris
- Exhibit proficiency in the required skills, abilities and responsibilities for the position
- No active corrective actions
- Attendance occurrences below 2 within the last rolling year
- Exceed Expectations on most recent performance review
- Minimum of 6 years of experience in manufacturing, with 2 years being with Polaris.
- Exhibit proficiency in the required skills, abilities and responsibilities for the position.
- No active corrective actions
- Attendance occurrence below 2 within the last rolling year
- Exceed Expectations on most recent performance review
- Intense production line presence
- Typical manufacturing and office environment conditions.
- Working with hazardous materials and chemicals
- Working in confined spaces
- Will be required to wear the proper safety equipment and follow all safety guidelines
Polaris Huntsville Internal Promotion / Transfer Requirements:
- New Hires must have 1 year Continuous Service from Polaris Hire Date
- 6 Months Between Department Transfers or Promotions
- No Active Corrective Actions
- 2 or Less Attendance Occurrences in each Attendance Category
- Must have received a 'Exceeds Expectations' in most recent performance review, if applicable.
- Resume Required
- Interview Required
- If selected for the position, you are required to move into the position upon the effective date. If you are no longer interested in the position, you must withdraw prior to an offer being presented.
Resume required in order to be considered for this position.
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to THINK OUTSIDE. Apply today!
At Polaris we put our employees first, by offering a holistic approach to their health and financial wellbeing. Polaris is proud to offer competitive compensation, including a market-leading profit-sharing plan that is fundamental to our pay-for-performance culture. At Polaris, employees are owners of the company through company contributions to our Employee Stock Ownership Plan and discounted employee stock purchases plan. Employees receive a generous matching contribution to 401(k), financial wellness education and consultation to plan for their financial future. In addition to competitive pay, Polaris provides a comprehensive suite of benefits, including health, dental, and vision insurance, wellness programs, paid time off, gym & personal training reimbursement, life insurance and disability offerings. Through the Polaris Foundation and our Polaris Gives paid volunteer time off, we support employees who actively volunteer their time, efforts, and passions to improve the health and wellbeing of the communities in which they live, play and work. Employees at Polaris drive our success and are rewarded for their commitment.
As the global leader in powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. Polaris' high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; military and commercial off-road vehicles; snowmobiles; Indian Motorcycle® mid-size and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; Aixam quadricycles; Goupil electric vehicles; and pontoon and deck boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with a robust portfolio of parts, garments, and accessories. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.