Power Electronics Systems EngineerBangalore
At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to THINK OUTSIDE.
Title: Electric & Hybrid Powertrain - Power Electronics Systems Engineer
The Power Electronics Systems Engineer will be an integral part of the Global Electric & Hybrid Powertrain Team. They will be responsible for leading the design and development of electric powertrain modules systems to meet vehicle performance goals working closely with a core team of Electrical Powertrain Engineering Architects, Systems Engineers & Product team Systems Engineers in the design, development, & integration of the system into hybrid and battery electric vehicles manufactured by Polaris.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works with product team to understand customer needs & use cases/cycles, develops Power Electronic System performance requirements, and works with analysis team to evaluate the performance of various architectures & analyze tradeoffs
- Supports the development of electrified powertrain strategy/roadmaps that best support Polaris globally with a focus on high voltage Motor Drives, Inverters, On Board Chargers, DC/DC converters, and Power Distribution Units.
- Finds areas of commonality between customer/vehicle applications and develop/recommend platformed components/subsystems to meet current & future needs where possible/appropriate
- Establishes reasonable project development schedule and resource estimations from concept to production implementation of the system(s) including tooling, NRE, labor, BOM cost, etc.
- Documents electric &/or hybrid powertrain system requirements and decomposes into component and integration requirements as needed for each project
- Works with chassis, engine, controller, software teams/engineers as needed to assign requirements, discuss tradeoffs, perform design reviews, & ensure successful integration
- Performs detailed studies and design of the Power Electronic System (including the physical, electrical, and controls architecture & integration aspects) with emphasis on safety, quality, and cost; includes leading and/or participating in system, subsystem and/or vehicle level HARA, DFMEA, Functional Safety ISO26262, etc. as well as developing design guidelines
- Manages technical aspects of multiple system integration and validation projects and provides status to the integrated project team(s)
- Interacts with purchasing, testing, manufacturing, and external suppliers as needed for the successful completion of projects
- Creates and executes (or facilitates the execution of) electric & hybrid powertrain system &/or component functionality/reliability testing/validation plans prior to vehicle insertion where/when appropriate; facilitates issue root-causing and resolution
- Supports vehicle level validation plan development related to electric & hybrid powertrain system functionality & reliability, reviews the test results, and troubleshoots & resolves issues as needed
- Creates and maintains design documentation including system architecture and/or flow charts as needed
- Identifies & communicates risks related to the design, development, implementation, etc. of the electric & hybrid powertrain subsystem and/or its integration with other systems/subsystems; works with the team to prioritize and develop & execute mitigations & contingency plans
- Maintains & facilitates consistent, effective communication with Integrated Project Teams, Central Electrical Teams, functional experts, CAE/FAE/ALD, etc.
- Supports the development and continuous improvement of processes, tools, documentation, training materials, etc. to support a sustained capability within the organization
- Performs other duties/assignments as requested
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & REQUIREMENTS:
Critical Technical Skills
- 4 year degree in Engineering and a minimum of 3-5+ years’ work experience in electric/hybrid powertrain system development
- Basic understanding of Power electronics components like diodes, SCRs, IGBT, MOSFETs etc.
- In-depth understanding of various electric & hybrid vehicle architectures, systems, subsystems, etc. at various voltage levels (36V/48V, 100V, 350V+, etc.) including component design, selection, & mating
- Power System-level design of vehicle or machine control systems experience including system/subsystem level tradeoff analysis, troubleshooting, and calibration
- Experience with mechanical systems and engines (doesn’t have to be included in formal education) including thermal analysis
- Hands on experience using electrical/software test and analysis equipment
- Product development experience
- Controller Area Network (CAN) experience (J1939 preferred)
- Demonstrated success with engineering problem solving approach
- Demonstrated ability to influence without authority
- Demonstrated success working in cross-functional, multi-location teams
- Highly developed computer skills using design/analysis and Microsoft Office software tools
Desirable Technical Skills
- MS degree in technical field
- Some travel required (amount varies) to support vehicle builds, testing, and interface with suppliers
- Fast-paced office and lab environment
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to THINK OUTSIDE. Apply today!
As the global leader in powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. Polaris' high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; military and commercial off-road vehicles; snowmobiles; Indian Motorcycle® mid-size and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; Aixam quadricycles; Goupil electric vehicles; and pontoon and deck boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with a robust portfolio of parts, garments, and accessories. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.