At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to THINK OUTSIDE.
We have a great opportunity for a talented engineer to join our team. You will be responsible for leading the design, development, and validation of Off-Road Vehicle (ORV) Driveline system components (transmissions, CVT’s, right-angle drives, prop shafts, half shafts, etc.) using a systems engineering approach. You will work closely with program architects and product management to define key driveline deliverables, create and execute industry-leading designs that align with sourcing plans, and work with Operations to develop and execute manufacturing strategies that ensure production success.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead design and development of industry-leading ORV Driveline Systems
- Collaborate with Vehicle Architects and Subject Matter Experts to define specifications for components and assemblies
- Supports the validation and manufacturing strategy for all driveline system variants from concept through production
- Determines the ideal component manufacturing method to ensure overall design, performance, and cost goals are met
- Collaborates with designers and engineers inside and outside the team
- Completes design tasks in the Polaris Release System and ensures their timely release
- Collaborate with Powertrain to specify requirements to include torque, speed, and power ratings appropriate for application needs both Internal Combustion and/or Electric/Hybrid powertrains.
- Collaborates with Powertrain/Central SME/Validation teams to ensure industry leading customer facing attribute delivery.
- Organize and conduct design reviews on the assigned project to ensure adequate input and involvement
- Analyze manufacturing and field problems and determine corrective actions
- Ability to ride ORV vehicles for the purpose of field development and performance evaluation
- Benchmark competitive designs
- Collaborate with Pre-Development/Platform teams on future requirement/technology needs.
EDUCATION, SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent engineering degree
- 2+ years related design or system engineering experience
- Strong mechanical aptitude with a desire to drive vehicles for development and testing purposes
- Experience with detailed system specifications development
- Quality and customer-focused
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Quick learner with high-level of ambition and drive
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to work in a team environment
- Ability to work with and travel to domestic and international technology partners
- Self-starter that thrives in a fast-paced work environment
- Microsoft software including Excel, Project, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Understanding and experience with driveline components such as transmissions, CVT’s, right-angle drives, prop shafts, and half shafts
- Knowledge of driveline-related component manufacturing processes including casting, forging, machining, complex plastic component molding (Blow molding, Injection Molding), and rubber hose / ducting (Injection molding, Mandrel molding)
- Experience and proficiency with Pro-E and complex component design utilizing advanced surfacing
- Understanding and/or experience using FEA / CFD software and data post-processing for systems optimization preferred Experience using PTC Windchill Product Lifecycle Management software
- Lab testing and data acquisition experience
- GD&T, FMEA, dimensional tolerance stack-ups
- Understanding of bolted joint design and designing parts to strength and weight targets
- Fast-paced office environment with a sense of urgency to deliver forward-thinking, product preceding designs and technologies
- Frequent exposure to, and participation in, field and shop fabrication, testing, and development work within the product lines
- Travel as needed (approx. up to 10%) for product research, development, and consumer facing opportunities
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to THINK OUTSIDE. Apply today!
As the global leader in Powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2021 sales of $8.2 billion, Polaris’ high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® midsize and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments, and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio. Polaris’ presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.