At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to THINK OUTSIDE.
DIRECTOR – PRODUCT COMPLIANCE (On-Site – Wyoming, Minnesota)
This is an exciting leadership role working in the research and development center of the world’s leading Powersports company. Reporting to the Vice President, Legal – Product Safety, you will lead a results-driven, dynamic team of compliance engineers and specialists responsible globally for identifying, evaluating, and complying with mandatory and voluntary product standards, regulations, laws and specifications; assessing regulatory risk and developing mitigation strategies to address those risks; and developing and certifying products against new mandatory internal vehicle requirements. You will lead the team planning for and obtaining emissions, vehicle safety, homologation, radio and other product certifications enabling global sales of all Polaris products, including side-by-sides, ATVs, snowmobiles, motorcycles, boats, military vehicles, and related parts and accessories. This role will involve substantial collaboration with senior internal and external stakeholders on compliance-related issues, where you will need to champion new process and standards development to drive timely, effective and world-class compliance standards-setting and execution.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain worldwide product compliance across all Global Business Units by direct participation in Long Range Product Planning (LRPP) and the Product Development Process (PDP).
- Obtain product compliance approvals on a timely basis to support the global product plan.
- Lead a team of direct reports in several locations and a cross-functional global network of engineers, manufacturing facilities, business leaders, and legal team support to maintain compliance.
- Establish and manage performance to Product Compliance budget and staffing plans.
- Own relationships with regulatory agency and technical service partners.
- Positively lead team in identifying standards from other industries and sectors and evaluating and modifying if necessary those tests for adaptation into Polaris’ internal requirements.
- Develop and maintain compliance processes using Information Systems technology where feasible, driving, tracking and documenting progress against roadmaps
- Actively track and influence global standards applicable to Polaris products.
- Participate in the post-sale surveillance and recall processes as related to Product Compliance.
- Coordinate with cross-functional teams, external experts and international industry groups to develop new industry voluntary standards and new internal Polaris mandatory standards to optimize the safety, performance and consumer experience using our products.
- Resolve any non-compliance issues that arise, and support any related regulatory reporting and litigation as required.
- Product scope includes Off-Road Vehicles, On-Road (Indian) Motorcycles, Snowmobiles, Military & Commercial Vehicles, Boats, and Parts, Garments & Accessories including Portable Fuel Containers.
- Functional areas of coverage include vehicle emissions, product safety standards such as lighting and braking, electromagnetic compatibility, radio frequency devices, and other product compliance requirements exclusive of the Substance Compliance and Trade Compliance disciplines.
- Markets supported include all countries where Polaris sells products - the U.S., Canada, EU, China, Japan, Australia, and numerous other countries in Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
- B.S. or M.S. degree in engineering or technical field
- Minimum 7 years of experience leading teams
- Minimum 10 years of vehicle-level product compliance experience
- Ability to collaborate and influence effectively in a matrixed environment
- Extensive experience in assessing compliance risk, obtaining vehicle certification approvals, maintaining self-certification files, and resolving complex vehicle compliance challenges
- Strong communication skills in a global setting
- Mechanical aptitude and enthusiasm for Polaris Products
- Dynamic, fast-paced environment
- North American and International team (reports located in USA, Poland and India)
- Moderate travel required (15%)
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to THINK OUTSIDE. Apply today!
As the global leader in Powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2021 sales of $8.2 billion, Polaris’ high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® midsize and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments, and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio. Polaris’ presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.