At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to THINK OUTSIDE.
BMS Control Systems Engineer
DEPARTMENT: Central Engineering
Powertrain Engineering Manager
LOCATION: Bangalore, India
As a BMS Control Systems Engineer in our Global Electric & Hybrid Powertrain Engineering Team organization you will be a pivotal member of our team in this high impact position, leading the development and platforming of Battery management system (BMS) control units and components. This includes BMS controls hardware/software requirements, diagnostics, interfaces and communications for domains including but not limited to Battery Systems down to cell level monitoring and control, Interface with Electric Power Train Controls, Electrical Contactors, Sensors, Power Distribution Modules, On-Board Chargers, Inverters, Motor Control Units, and other ePT modules and loads that impact total battery performance and robustness. This candidate will work to integrate and meet the BMS needs of multiple vehicle product families, their platforms, and derivatives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Works with the Electric Powertrain, Battery and Charging system engineers, to understand and decompose vehicle system level requirements into BMS controller hardware and software requirements.
- Works with software development team to implement controller requirements into Simulink models, reviews Simulink implementation, and works validation engineers to validate software.
- Works with modeling and simulation engineers to develop and improve existing battery models and to correlate real measured results vs. simulation.
- Documents requirements and validation tests using industry standard tools.
- Interfaces with vendor(s) and Polaris Purchasing as needed for component/module development, ensuring quality is met.
- Interfaces with other Subject Matter Experts to ensure I/O analysis is completed and communications are defined.
- Support validation team to develop, document, & execute controller, system, & vehicle-level validation plans/procedures for HW and SW including MIL/SIL/HIL simulation and/or bench/vehicle testing.
- As applicable, work with the Cybersecurity team to develop secure architectures that continue to evolve as needed to ensure security as system complexity & threats evolve.
- Contribute to overall battery energy system controls architecture.
- As applicable, ensure system design practices incorporate process improvements to align with Functional Safety goals/standards (May include leading/participating in Hazard Analysis and Risk Assessments (HARA), Design Failure Mode Effects Analysis (DFMEA), and Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), etc.)
- Maintains controller development project plans and/or supports projects engineers in doing so.
- May perform calibration of certain controller diagnostics and communications features.
- Optimizes controller design and manages re-use to serve multiple product lines and functionality requirements with the shortest design cycle times possible + platform roadmap.
- Updates team on controller development schedule/status to clarify deliverable expectations.
- Root cause analysis and troubleshooting.
- Other duties as required. Some (domestic and international) travel required.
- B.S. or higher in Engineering required; Electrical, Software, Computer or related desired.
- 3+ years’ experience in design and/or implementation of controls, especially related to vehicle controls/diagnostics/communication required.
- Experience with development of battery state algorithms and modeling covering Energy Management, State-of-Charge, State-of-Health, State-of-Power and State-of-Energy computations.
- Experience with communication networks required, CAN, UDS, and J1939 strongly preferred.
- Experience with SysML system requirements and Simulink software modeling.
- Experience with software and/or hardware V&V efforts including MIL/SIL/HIL, unit testing, and related documentation required.
- Experience with DFMEA, SFMEA, and Functional Safety strongly desired. Certification in Functional Safety a plus.
- Embedded hardware, electronic circuit, and RF design experience a plus.
- Hands-on hardware bring-up or development, system debugging and code optimization.
- Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced development environment required.
- Experience in effective problem solving and troubleshooting methods required.
- Familiarity with requirement and test case management using requirement/software lifeycle management tools as well as configuration management preferred.
- Experience in project management strongly preferred.
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to THINK OUTSIDE. Apply today!
As the global leader in Powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2021 sales of $8.2 billion, Polaris’ high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® midsize and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments, and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio. Polaris’ presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.