At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to THINK OUTSIDE.
Lead the design, development, and validation of new tire projects in the Off-Road Vehicles Division. This includes writing detailed specifications to meet the vehicle’s need, working with external vendors to design/develop the parts, and creating a detailed DVP&R test plan. Will need to set targets and specifications of based on in-vehicle evaluations and seat time and collaboration with vehicle dynamics team. Frequent communication with Product Management and Industrial Design required. Leading both lab-based tests and in-field analysis required. In addition, must also work with Service, Purchasing, internal Manufacturing, and external vendors. Position location is flexible, but preference given to candidates willing to relocate to Wyoming, MN or San Angelo, TX.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work closely with vehicle dynamics team to define tire and wheel requirements and specifications early in vehicle product development process. Lead the development specification and implementation tires and wheels.
- Work with tire vendors to translate specifications into tires that meet performance, aesthetic, and cost requirements.
- Lead vehicle level tire integration testing. Ensure vehicle level dynamic compliance testing requirements are met.
- Support manufacturing and field problem resolution. Investigate NPS issues related to wheel and tire systems. Recommend and implement solutions.
- Work with the ORV design group, and outside suppliers to ensure production drawings are accurate and properly dimensioned (using KPC’s and GD&T).
- Perform relevant tolerance stack up analysis to ensure clearances are maintained.
- Lead benchmarking activity around tires and wheels.
- Ensure that Polaris off-road vehicles comply with all applicable compliance regulations. Define inflation pressure requirements for pneumatic tire assemblies.
- Create and maintain design guidelines and validation plans. Communicate to project and validation teams. Participate on related peer teams
- Participate and lead rideability reviews at critical stages of the program to ensure vehicle level handling targets are set / met and comparisons to competitive vehicles are available.
- Maintain knowledge of emerging tire and wheel technologies and application that apply to off road vehicles. Identify and prioritize features and concepts that may be patentable and support the patent process.
- Support on boarding of new vendors and cost down activities as needed.
- Other Duties as required.
EDUCATION, SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE:
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Agricultural Engineering, or equivalent required
- 5+ years of tire engineering experience preferred
- Ability to ride and assist in tuning / evaluation activities
- Experience with Creo or other 3D CAD system preferred
- Experience with GD&T, FMEA, dimensional tolerance stack-ups and engineering standards preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High level of people skills, able to work in a team environment
- Creative, innovative, decisive and prone to action. Quality and customer focused
- Ability to work with domestic and international technology partners
- Microsoft software including Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Less than 10% travel will be required if candidate is onsite in Minnesota or Texas
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to THINK OUTSIDE. Apply today!
As the global leader in Powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2021 sales of $8.2 billion, Polaris’ high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® midsize and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments, and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio. Polaris’ presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.