At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to THINK OUTSIDE.
We have a great opportunity for a Design Technologist to join the engineering team supporting the Polaris aftermarket brands of Kolpin, Pro Armor, and Trail Tech (Apex Product Group). As a key member of the Apex engineering team, this position is primarily focused on plastic product design and innovation of aftermarket accessories. Responsibilities include the technical design, development, and validation of accessories from conceptual design through to production for the Kolpin, Pro Armor, and Trail Tech brands while delivering key project objectives including cost, schedule, product features and benefits, safety, quality, and customer value.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Product design of powersports accessories from conceptual design through to start of production with a focus in plastics design, including injection, rotational, and / or blow molding. Familiarity with metal and soft goods design would be beneficial as well.
- Creates and executes complex mechanical design in Pro/E Creo design software. Ability to lead contract CAD personnel with development.
- Working with the cross functional Apex team to deliver product features and benefits while meeting key deliverables of product cost target, schedule, and standards for quality and safety.
- Preparation of and presentation of design reviews and project status to Apex leadership & other stakeholders. Works with cross functional Apex team to ensure successful product launch.
- Supports all product design related topics including, purchasing, design for manufacturing, production support, & technical inquiries from customer service with emphasis on quality, reliability, timely delivery, and cost.
- Analyzes existing and new designs to identify product improvements and cost reduction opportunities.
Education & Experience
- 2 year degree in mechanical drafting and design technology. Bachelors degree preferred.
- 2+ years plastics design experience (injection, rotational, and / or blow molding), preferable relating to powersports, automotive, agriculture or consumer products.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Proficient in surfacing and solid modeling using a CAD modeling package, preferably PTC Creo.
- Microsoft software including Excel, Project, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Ability to use powersports (ATV & SxS) vehicles & Apex (Kolpin, Pro Armor, Trail Tech) product competently.
- Extensive knowledge of powersports and/or automotive-like products a plus.
- High level of critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Exhibits outstanding interpersonal communication skills (both oral and written communication) when working with both domestic and international partners and stakeholders.
- Knowledge of engineering documentation, manufacturing process control, and technical data
- Effective time-management, prioritization, and multi-tasking skills
- Ability to navigate ambiguity; self-starter tendencies with demonstrated problem solving ability.
- Fast-paced office environment
- 10-20% travel required, including international travel
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to THINK OUTSIDE. Apply today!
As the global leader in Powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2021 sales of $8.2 billion, Polaris’ high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® midsize and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments, and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio. Polaris’ presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.