At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to THINK OUTSIDE.
The Senior Design Engineer with the Slingshot Team is responsible for leading the design process of On-Road related components and systems from concept to production. This role will support new product development (NPD) by executing the product plan and providing advanced technical solutions to meet the consumer’s needs on a wide range of designs and manufacturing process.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supports all design related component styling, purchasing and manufacturing issues with emphasis on quality, reliability, timely delivery, and cost.
- Establishes a reasonable project development schedule from concept to production implementation in line with overall business requirements.
- Determines ideal component manufacturing route to ensure overall design, performance, and cost conformance.
- Analyzes existing and new designs to identify and implement cost reduction opportunities.
- Determines nature and type of electronic models, detail drawings, and analysis required to support the above and supervises their release through the release cycle.
- Prepares preliminary sketches and/or schematic diagrams and/or presentations to aid in the understanding and solution of engineering problems.
- Participates in design reviews on projects to ensure adequate input and involvement from all interested groups.
- Analyzes field problems and recommends possible solutions.
- Assists in the preparation of the monthly project status report.
- Coordinate, mentor, and supervise designers and engineers within the team.
- Performs other miscellaneous project related assignments.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
- Required-B.S.M.E. in Mechanical Engineering, Agricultural Engineering, or equivalent.
- Minimum 5 years of demonstrated experience, ideally within powersports or a similar consumer products category.
- Experience with and fundamental understanding of component design using 3-D CAD modeling of welded structures, stampings, castings, forgings, and bolted joints highly preferred.
- Experience with the following vehicle design categories a plus: Chassis/Frame systems, Steering systems, Suspension systems, Braking systems, and Tire application.
- High level of people skills, able to work in a team environment, and able to effectively leverage the expertise of the Subject Matter Experts.
- Possesses and applies broad technical knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures as demonstrated by academic and practical experience to the completion of difficult technical problems and projects.
- Experience with specification development and system-level interface considerations.
- Demonstrated experience utilizing Pro-Engineer CREO preferred or related 3-D modeling software.
- Skilled in multitasking and executing many tasks at once.
- Experience in vehicle weight reduction (material, design) and cost reduction preferred.
- FEA experience and application of FEA in design preferred.
- GD&T, FMEA, dimensional tolerance stack-ups.
- Exhibits outstanding interpersonal communication skills (both oral and written communication).
- Understands and actively pursues the voice of the customer to exceed customer expectations.
- Ability to work with domestic and international technology partners.
- Fast-paced working environment.
- Up to 10-15% domestic travel as needed for this role.
- Location Wyoming, Minnesota.
- Full time position.
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to THINK OUTSIDE. Apply today!
As the global leader in Powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2021 sales of $8.2 billion, Polaris’ high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® midsize and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments, and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio. Polaris’ presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.