At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to THINK OUTSIDE.
Polaris Industries is the global leader in the powersports industry. We design, develop and manufacture the most technically advanced off-road recreational vehicles on the market. The powertrain calibration engineer’s role is to conduct testing and lead development of the application of powertrain control systems with emphasis on ORV models. Specific focus is on powertrain calibration development through collaboration with the product groups for successful powertrain integration into the vehicle in areas of performance, drivability, and emissions. Responsible for developing, implementing, and maintaining engineering procedures, requirements, and specifications to ensure thorough definition, testing and production release of powertrain calibrations. Direct test technicians and other contributors on calibration projects as required. Candidate must be comfortable working in a fast pace environment and driving recreational vehicles in limit case conditions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Uses experience and engineering principles to develop and specify test procedures and equipment necessary to conduct powertrain control system application in performance, drivability, emissions, and motion safety for Polaris ORVs.
- Create technical and program reports with common format and conclusions supporting product development deliverables.
- Develop, validate and release powertrain calibration workpackages to production for assigned vehicle program(s) that meet or exceed requirements for performance, drivability and emissions.
- Develop pre-production calibrations and technology to ensure program(s) meet all government mandated emissions regulations with Polaris-specified margins.
- Coordinate testing aspects of engine and vehicle development projects: develop test criteria, systems requirement specifications, create test plans, set goals, objectives and schedules.
- Responsible for data integrity and all technical aspects of the calibration process.
- Participate in Calibration Peer Teams, develop and/or adopt calibration processes and ensure Polaris guidelines are met or exceeded.
- Participate in controller software meetings, understand engine control module (ECM) software function and recommend / validate algorithm changes.
- Participate in root cause failure analysis during the development process. Find and recommend practical solutions for specific failure modes as related to calibration parameters, or calibration related vehicle performance.
- Calibration and end-of-line support for specific engine production testing at engine and vehicle assembly plants as required.
- Records and analyzes test data using statistical, analytical, and other state of the art techniques. Research alternatives, and implement solutions to meet powertrain objectives.
- Interact and direct resources at multiple Powertrain and product group engineering sites.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
- BS or MS engineering degree with a minimum of 5 years of engine testing and calibration development related experience. Vehicle integration experience preferred.
- Knowledge of SI engine principles
- Fluent with data analysis techniques and tools including Excel, Matlab, Concerto, Minitab, Python, etc.
- Fluent with ETAS/INCA, Simulink, ASCET, and J1939 CAN
- Experience with electro-mechanical sensors/actuators, electrical systems and software
- Experience developing SI emissions control systems (closed-loop, catalyst, ETC)
- Experience operating ATVs, off-road vehicles and motorcycles
- Ability to work with domestic and international technology partners
- Able to multitask, managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Hands-on experience repairing / rebuilding small engines or automotive engines a plus
- Fast paced testing and field environment
- Ability to travel up to 25% of time to areas in the continental U.S. for field development trips
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to THINK OUTSIDE. Apply today!
As the global leader in Powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2021 sales of $8.2 billion, Polaris’ high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® midsize and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments, and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio. Polaris’ presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.