This video goes over the installation of the MAXTRAX® Traction Boards + Mounts (part number 2890646).
Required Tools and Supplies
- 5mm Allen Socket
- Adjustable Wrench
- Torque Wrench
- Shop Rags
- Nitrile Gloves
- Eye Protection
For information on tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide. Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when installing accessories on your Polaris XPEDITION.
To install the MAXTRAX® kit on your Polaris XPEDITION XP or ADV, follow these steps.
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface, ensure it is in PARK and remove the key.
2. Assemble the two lock washers to two screws.
3. Assemble two flat washers to two screws.
4. Install two screws into the mounting base.
5. Install a T-nut onto each screw.
6. Remove the locking nut from each mounting pin. Leave the flat washer on the stud of the mounting pin.
7. Install the mounting pins and washer through the holes on the mounting base.
8. Install a locking nut into opposite sides of mounting base. Make sure the nylon insert in the nut faces away from the mounting base.
9. Tighten the mounting pins with an adjustable wrench. Tighten until the mounting pin is tight and flat. The mounting pin lines should line up with the lines on the mounting base. Repeat steps to assemble the second mounting base.
10. There are two types of traction boards in this kit. Traction board ‘A’ has extra ribbing on the bottom, allowing the board to be used as support for a hack or similar use. There is one board of this type in the kit. Traction board ‘B’ does not have additional ribbing. There are three boards of this type in the kit. When stacking traction boards, board A must be on the bottom of the stack.
11. Set the mounting bases on a flat surface, with the smaller sides facing each other.
12. Install two traction boards on the mounts.
13. Turn the tabs on each mounting pin to lock the traction boards on the mounts. Note: There are two tabs on each mounting pin. Use the lower tabs when stacking two traction boards. Use the upper tabs when stacking four traction boards.
14. Remove the rubber bumper from the rear of the cargo bed rail.
15. Install mounts to the rail. The T-nuts will slide into the openings in the rail.
16. Slide the mounts to the desired position.
17. Carefully remove the traction boards from the mounts. Make sure not to move mounts along the rail.
18. Tighten four screws to 18 ft-lbs (24 Nm) with a 5mm Allen socket.
19. Install the bumper into the rear of the rail.
20. The kit comes with straps. Attach a strap to each traction board prior to use. Straps will aid in retrieval of traction boards if they become buried or submerged.
21. Remove and store straps when not in use.
View the instructions for this kit by searching the Polaris Accessory Installation Instruction Site.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
MAXTRAX® is a registered trademark of MAXTRAX AUSTRALIA PTY LTD LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2023 Polaris Industries Inc.