At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to THINK OUTSIDE.
Senior Staff Engineer – Composite SME
We have a great opportunity for a SR Staff Engineer to join our team managing and executing the integration of composite materials into Polaris vehicles. The role is responsible for bringing new rider inspired technologies into programs across all business units. Align with product line teams as the architecture moves from technology into predevelopment phase. This includes research, concept definition, concepting, budget management, scheduling, and executing virtual and physical validation. The role will involve leading Technical Readiness reviews and ensuring the idea meets the goals defined in the technology charter. This role will be a pivotal success driver to give the best consumer experiences to delight our customer.
- Complete overall technical design, development, and FE analysis of composite components with System/Vehicle interfaces and technical integration of sub-systems.
- Responsible for material and process specifications.
- Assures components and sub-systems work together and conducts system level tradeoffs (quality, function, weight, cost, assembly feasibility, etc.) to meet Voice of the Customer
- Communicate with product management to establish product needs and trade-offs analysis.
- Leads technical resolution of cross functional issues in the early phase to ensure the correct balance of customer requirements and business needs.
- Manages simultaneous projects with significant financial investment.
- Establish reasonable project development schedules from concept to production implementation in line with overall business requirements.
- Assist in development of Long-Range Innovation Plans - aligning system needs with customer facing requests and technology roadmaps.
- Benchmarking of competitive design/processes/materials and function as well as other industries
- Provide direction, coordination, and design trade-offs for designers within the team.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering or other related fields required.
- 8+ years’ minimum previous experience in automotive, agriculture, or consumer product engineering preferred with specialization in composites and/or materials engineering.
- Possesses and applies a broad knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures to the completion of difficult technical problems and projects.
- Strong computer skills and experience with 3D CAD modeling required surface modeling, prints and tooling design, CREO preferred.
- In-Depth experience with FEA analysis on composites.
- Experience with Microsoft programs (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Exhibits outstanding interpersonal communication skills (both oral and written communication).
- Understands and actively pursues the voice of the customer to exceed customer expectations.
- A passion for the mission, vision, and values of Polaris Vehicles.
- Thrives on bringing new technology to reality.
- Fast-paced working environment.
- The ability to travel 10-20% travel
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to THINK OUTSIDE. Apply today!
As the global leader in Powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2021 sales of $8.2 billion, Polaris’ high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® midsize and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments, and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio. Polaris’ presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.